First Fermentation (normal??)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickweg

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first ever batch of strawberry wine last night. It's bubbling away this morning which is a good thing I think :) Is it normal to have a bunch of "nasty" looking stuff at the top of the fermentation bucket during this process? I attached pics to see what I'm referring to. When I stir it up daily should I stir this stuff back down into the liquid? Thanks for the help in advance!!

image-2710427748.jpg

image-1473268431.jpg

Looks perfect..."punch down" (stir) that "cap" (nasty stuff) once or twice a day.

looks like its suppose to..remove that lid...cover with a cloth, you need to get way more oxygen in that must, are it will slow down to a crawl..maybe even stop.
punch down once a day.

Thanks for the feedback! I had a towel sitting on top but the strainer bag kept pushing up against it getting it wet. The lid that is on there isn't screwed down, it's just sitting on top. I went ahead and put the towel back on to let more air in. I guess a wet towel is better than no air. What you think?

Last edited:
Looks like your lid has a hole in it... While you're punching down the cap give it a quick stir, you should be fine.

Cover that hole with a towel.

Lizerdking, I ended up putting the towel back over the container and taking the lid off. Do you think it would get enough air if I put the lid back on with the towel on the top? I won't screw the lid down, just set it on top. I guess this is a good opportunity to ask a question: Why do we need to cover up the bucket at all? Wouldn't leaving it uncovered give it the most air? Probably a dumb question but I thought I would ask....

I ferment in buckets all the time...i cover with a muslin cloth to keep bugs out, and give the yeast as much o2 as i can....
racking after it goes dry is a different story, I dont want the o2 then.
so i attach air lock, let it proceed to the clearing stage.
yeast can not live without oxygen....and in primary it needs the o2 to replicate yeast cells, then it needs little oxygen to start the second phase of ferment to make the alcohol.

I ferment in buckets all the time...i cover with a muslin cloth to keep bugs out, and give the yeast as much o2 as i can....
racking after it goes dry is a different story, I dont want the o2 then.
so i attach air lock, let it proceed to the clearing stage.
yeast can not live without oxygen....and in primary it needs the o2 to replicate yeast cells, then it needs little oxygen to start the second phase of ferment to make the alcohol.

When you move to your secondary how much room do you leave at the top? I'm a little worried that if I fill it too full it will blow out the top of the airlock, but if I leave too much air in the top it will oxidize. Do you have any advice?

Lizerdking, I ended up putting the towel back over the container and taking the lid off. Do you think it would get enough air if I put the lid back on with the towel on the top? I won't screw the lid down, just set it on top. I guess this is a good opportunity to ask a question: Why do we need to cover up the bucket at all? Wouldn't leaving it uncovered give it the most air? Probably a dumb question but I thought I would ask....

I cover mine with a towel but when the must starts pushing against the towel I remove it and place the lid loosely on top of primary and cover the hole with a damp face cloth and have never had trouble with not enough air.

well you dont move it to a nother carboy until its like 1.000 are lower.
then i fill mine to about 2 inches from the top of the carboy, are about to the start of the neck.

Thanks for the reply. I thought most of the fermenting is done by the time it reaches the secondary so it can be filled up. I just wanted a little clarification. Rocky posted some great stuff that helped alot. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help out. It's wonderful!

I generally leave the secondary low. It makes it easier to degas...

Once i've degas'd, sorbat'd, and k-meta'd. Then I top up and let it age/clear. Until you degas, there is so much co2 in there the little bit of oxygen on top is going to be pushed out without infecting your wine.

I use a lid and snap it on and then toss and empty airlock in the hole, I'll unsnap the lid every couple days, stir and punch down the cap.

I use a lid because i have pets/kids. A towel should be fine, but the lid will keep it safer from "outside elements"

Latest posts

Back