First Crack at It

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks wonderful Derek! Now once you get that bottled you need to get over here and bottle all my wine and then youll be a pro bottler with lots of bottles under your belt! LOL, I just cant get myself to bottle this stuff, even when its raining out and I cant fish I just cant get myself to get down there and do it! I really need to as Im running out of time here before I have to move!

lol...I don't mind helping you bottle yours as long as there are some liquid payments involved ;)

Maybe when we're done I could borrow your floor corker for a few days :D I'll check the schedule and let's set something up via PM

It's been 3 months now since I started this batch. I'm planning on letting it bulk age for another month then add 1/4tsp of K-meta and bottle it. What I'm wondering is how do you guys add the K-meta? Do you just pour it in the carboy and stir it in or do you dissolve it in some wine first then add it?

Just ad 1/8th tsp if your going to bottle it right after adding it. If your going to rack the wine off sediment then just add the kmeta to the bottom of the carboy and rack onto it. If just adding to an already clear wine extract a 1/4 cup of wine or use some water and stir the kmeta into that so its dissolved and then add it to the wine.

Thanks guys! What's the reasoning behind adding only 1/8 tsp if it is bottled right away?

If you add 1/4 tsp right now and bottle it your S02 level may be to high and bottling it like that youll most likely taste it in every bottle. Im assuming youve already added the initial packet that came with the kit right? Thats already typically a little more then we add when we make wine from scratch.

Yes...I already added the K-meta from the kit. So maybe I don't even need to add any more? For some reason I thought I read that I should add another 1/4 tsp every 4 months. That's what I was thinking of.

Pretty much true but I wouldnt add that and then bottle immediately. It always ends up with a sulfite taste. If you want to leave it for a few weeks after adding then you can add the whole 1/4.

I'll probably do that. Add between an 1/8 and 1/4 and wait a couple more weeks then bottle. I'm not really in a rush to bottle this anyway.

Good, I wouldnt want your wine tasting and smelling like kmeta and it would, especially the aroma as you opened it!

I added 1/8tsp of k-meta to the wine today. Gave it a taste and wasn't that pleased with it. It's only been a few months but I'm thinking I should have left the oak out. Not sure though. Probably still needs more time. I'm going to bottle this in a week or two.

I'm wondering if I was thinking of sweetening it just slightly before I bottle it how you guys do it.

Im not one for oaking many whites at all and not sure how it will be oaked and sweetened. Id probably draw a small sample in a glass and sweeten that to try first.

Yeah...I may be jumping the gun by sweetening it. I think it just needs more age to settle out a bit probably.

Finally bottled this one today. I was able to fill 30 bottles and still have a testing glass left over. It is getting much better. The oak is finally mellowing out and fading to the background. I'm becoming more happy with this wine as time rolls on.

dscf0001n.jpg

Back