First batch from Fresh Juice, few q's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcD

Junior
Reaction score
I just returned from a road trip with the family and got some juice from a winery in the finger lakes of NY. In the past, I've only made wine from a kit. Before I try to take it to the next level, I have a few questions before i get started.
The juice has a brix of 19 and I think the guy there told me i need to add 1.5 lbs of sugar to get it to 22. Does that sound correct? Ive been researching it, but I can't find the chart that they had in the winery. I've never had to do this before!
if so, Should i make a simple sugar solution with cane sugar or should i use something else?
Thanks,
MarcD

Get a hydrometer. There is a balling scale (sometimes called Plato) on the side that is very close to the brix scale. I would start with 1lb of cane or beet sugar and add it directly to the juice. You don't want to add any extra water to it in the form of sugar solution, unless you want to start also adding acid to balance things out.

22 brix should give you a 12% ABV, give or take .5%. 22 brix is also about 1.092 in SG.

If you're going to addthe sugardirectly to the juice, you may want to warm some of the juice and add the sugar to that and be sure the sugar is fully disolved and thoroughly stirred into all of the juice before testing with the hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back