Fire on Red Mountain!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic photos- although definitely ones I’d prefer not to see… I’ve experienced a few too many of these living in California and I know when they call in Tanker 10 it’s a big one. Hope all was resolved quickly and without loss of life or too much property.

They knocked it down and were mopping it up by nightfall. IIRC only ~250 acres burned and the fire was on the West side of the "mountain" (really a hill) where they are no vineyards planted (currently). The wind was also pushing it west I think. Only a couple of out buildings were lost and no houses/structures. Most/all of the vineyards on Red Mountain face the usual South but since all the land facing south are already 100% owned and planted now they are moving further up the hill and actually have planted new vineyards on the very top and now working down the North face of the mountain. The biggest example of trying to capture the last bit of magic (potentially) on Red Mountain may be Liminal winery (owned by Avennia) and the vineyards they planted on the very top/north face of Red Mountain that are now coming online. The wines are basically member/list only now and prices are $75-$125/bottle.

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 8.30.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 8.33.50 AM.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back