Finally Racked it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So i just racked my skeeter pee into a carboy and added the remaining kemata and sorbate and clearing agent. I want to save the yeast slurry. I have it in a mason jar right now. Would it be ok in there? Should it be refrigerated? How long will it last? Lastly, my carboy isnt filled all the way up, there is about half of gallon head space. Should I top it off? Or leave the skeeter pee with that much head space?

Thanks!!

I saved my slurry for 2 weeks in the fridge. It is now fermenting my 3rd batch of SP with that slurry. And will immediately do a 4th batch when this one goes to secondaries.

It should be up to the shoulders of the carboy. The first batch I bottled I did not leave enough head space and the wine was sucked into the bung

ok thanks! Ill refrigerate it. Its at the shoulders of the carboy so Ill just leave it as it.
Thanks!

Also, when I racked it, I sucked some sediments into my carboy. Because when i look at the bottom you can see it all settled. Is this okay for my skeeter pee? Will it still clear up?

You'll be fine with some sediment in the carboy.

Did you rack from the primary to the carboy? Was the fermentation completed? You mentioned you added k-meta and sorbate. Usually there's some additional (secondary) fermentation still going on in the carboy.... did you check s.g.?

Just curious.... you may have a different plan than the way I do mine.

You'll be fine with some sediment in the carboy.

Did you rack from the primary to the carboy? Was the fermentation completed? You mentioned you added k-meta and sorbate. Usually there's some additional (secondary) fermentation still going on in the carboy.... did you check s.g.?

Just curious.... you may have a different plan than the way I do mine.

Yes I racked it from primary to Carboy. Before I racked it the sg was .998. I should wait at least another 2 weeks before back sweeten right?

I personally would rack again after a week or so. That is what I do if I see any sediment.

Two weeks isn't too long. You may have some fermentation still going on.... my skeeter pee has made it down to .992 or so. But, since you've added sorbate and k-meta you may have stopped that as well.

If it were me, I would check the s.g. in a week. Then wait one more week and check it again. If it's the same then go ahead and sweeten, rack and wait for it to clear.

If there's any change in the s.g. then wait another week and check again.

At your final racking add another 1/4 tsp. of k-meta and let it clear up completely...

you're doing fine... skeeter pee is a good one!

Two weeks isn't too long. You may have some fermentation still going on.... my skeeter pee has made it down to .992 or so. But, since you've added sorbate and k-meta you may have stopped that as well.

If it were me, I would check the s.g. in a week. Then wait one more week and check it again. If it's the same then go ahead and sweeten, rack and wait for it to clear.

If there's any change in the s.g. then wait another week and check again.

At your final racking add another 1/4 tsp. of k-meta and let it clear up completely...

you're doing fine... skeeter pee is a good one!

Thanks for the information! I have a wine kit I want to start so I figured if I start it know then rack in into a 6 gallon Carboy it will free up the primary for when I rack the pee. I have another 5gallon Carboy but it has little dark marks inside that I can't get rid. I'm afraid if I put the pee in there it will get screwed up

Do you have a long bottle brush for the stained carboy?

Or, (Normally this is not recommended) try a cup of bleach and fill it with water and let it sit overnight. See if that loosens, removes it.

Do you know what the stains are? Don't need any nasties messing up the next batch.

Do you have a long bottle brush for the stained carboy?

Or, (Normally this is not recommended) try a cup of bleach and fill it with water and let it sit overnight. See if that loosens, removes it.

Do you know what the stains are? Don't need any nasties messing up the next batch.

No idea it's been sitting aside in my garage for years. I tried brush didn't work.
:( I have c brite which is chlorine based and it's still there!

Another question as I just transferred my skeeter pee from its primary to a Carboy I added clearing agents. Should the temperature be warm? If so I need to put a blanket over it ?

Latest posts

Back