RJ Spagnols Filtering RJS Orange Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSnob

Reaction score
Day 42, or so, on the RJS orange chocolate port. The SG is 1.030, it is smooth and rich, quite sweet and has a nice taste (more chocolate than orange). I had topped up the 3 gal carboy with a very good VSOP french brandy (overkill maybe). For the last 30 days I kept it in the fridge around 45 to 50F although instructions call for 55-62F. Couldn't get my beer fridge much over 45F without thawing everything in my freezer! There's a half inch or so of lees and it has a wonderful color but is not as clear as I would like. Instructions call for filtering but I have no filtering system.

What do you think about my next step? Would it be best to take it to my LHBS to filter, should I just bottle it now unfiltered, or should I rack it and let it remain in carboy for several more months?

NS

Rack & let it sit, is what i'd do.

Maybe make sure its degassed. and warm it up to 70-75 for a few days / week. It'll push out any gas you didnt get out, easier, and the fine sediment will start to fall quicker.

I say bulk age much longer! Thuis is a Port and needs to get lots of age but due to its higher viscosity they take much longer to clear most of the time.

I just bottled mine that I started in December. It is already very good but I'll let it age a bit more. I kept mine around 65* the entire time. I also racked off the lees when it was done fermenting and stabilized it. I did filter mine at bottling time even though it was clear.

Thanks. If I rack it now into another carboy and age it for several months can I avoid filtering it? Can I get by with keeping it at room temp of 76-77F or should I put it back into the fridge around 50F?

BTW: I just learned that a wine topped up at 77F & placed at 50F will lose volume (an inch or so in the neck of the carboy) and then when brought back into room temp will gain volume. After testing & sampling, I topped it up to within 2" of bottom of bung and when sitting at room temp for several hours its level arose almost to the bottom ot that bung.

NS

If you do not have a filtering system then age longer for sure. Rack away from the lees and rack fairly hard. I would warm up and allow to gas off a bit put in 1/8 tsp of kmetta. Get a ruby port and top off as you already have fortified with brandy. Allow to rest for a few months Make sure the air lock is full. the orange flavor comes out more after some time.

I have made this kit 3 times. I have always filtered but if you do not have access then maybe contact Spagnols with an email and see what they have to say.

I agree with the others that you need to age this much more.

Did you see that WinExpert is putting out their version of a chocolate orange port this fall.

I'm about to bottle mine (when I get some free time). It's been aging nicely on it's own and I've racked it a few times. I will probably filter it because I can do that easily as I bottle.
I agree this is a great kit!

I checked with my LHBS and they don't offer filtration as a service. I decided to take Deezil & Wade's advice. I only have one 3 gal carboy so I racked it into a fermentation bucket, cleaned and sanitized the carboy & racked it back into it. Then I added some sorbate & k-meta & a newly sanitized airlock with vodka. t's good for another 3 months. The water I used to pre-mix the sorbate & k-meta made the perfect amount for topping up to 2". That means so far I have only added about 250ml of French brandy.

I didn't know WineXpert plans to offer an orange chocolate port. This was my first RJS kit. It is really too sweet for me. It's now like a sweet liqueur. I hope it mellows out with age. Flavor is great though.

Thanks guys!

NS

I havent ever filtered these port kits mainly because I let these bulk age a long time and never had them drop anything in the bottles after that.

Latest posts

Back