Filling in 3/5ths of my 2.5 acres come check it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats cool, I have about 6 more months and then I retire from the uscg. Then it is a matter of letting the kids finish school before heading west to the mountains of nc somewhere. But I cant wait that long to start growing stuff, I would love to start my own vineyard but I don't want to do just grapes. The way I figure it I need at least 100-200 acres just for my hobby, LOL.

Cab sauv & merlot i thought were the same climate zones. if you like the merlot why not grow that?

That is what I thought but according to the ag office they are not as far as trying to grow them here. I specifically asked about them and that is what I was told.

I've been watching this thread with some interest because I did the same thing almost 2 yrs ago. Of course we're in different climate zones, so not much translates. All those plantings will be a lot of pleasant work. I'm a little fearful of harvest time, but that won't be such a big deal if you're retired. Anyway, looks like you're well on your way. Have fun.

Thanks mud, Unfortunaley I will still have to work full time at a second career to survive. I will only turn 39 the month after I retire, so I at least get to start the second fairly young for a second career.

Ok back on to the yard filling in.
I was gifted 500 atlantic white cedar trees today, and no I am not going to fill up the yard with the. I am however in the front yard start hiding the house, then move onto the opposite side of the yard. Of course there will be alot more trees than what I need, but it was take 500 or take none. I might see about finding some other property near by to plant them on, I would hate to waste them.

Also got some more news on the vineyard side of the yard,
The ag lady is going to come out after I get my soil samples back and help me lay out where everything will go. She did mention that with doing the bunch grapes that I want to do, it would be best to put the raspberries and blackberries inbetween the rows of grapes. She said this would help with one of the problems that bunch grapes have in this area. The way it will work will look something like this

G1 G1 G1 G1
R1 R1 R1 R1
G2 G2 G2 G2
B1 B1 B1 B1
G3 G3 G3 G3
and so on.

You should plant them randomly in your neighbor's yards at night. And pretend nothing weird happened.

Just curious, what between row spacing are they suggesting for the grapes?

We haven't talked about spacing yet. She wanted to come look at the property first to make some decissions on spacing and placement of the vines as well as the fruit trees that I want to plant. I will keep everyone posted as it comes.

It will be later in the summer before I cut in the property to prep it for planting early spring next year. In the mean while there will be plenty to talk about as things come into play. I want to find a place that has the wild version of blackberries and not the thronless cultivated version. I know there are cultivated thorned versions but there is something to the wild variety that just appeals to me. I already know of some of the problems that come with wild fruits, but the way I see it is that if these wild varieties have survived this long then they must have some sort of resistance or else they would not be here.

Excellent point made on the berries. Just find some good no snag, thorn resistant clothing before starting to work with them.

Best way to treat raspberries is a trellis system similar to this. I drew it with 2 uprights, but 1 will do it as long as you don't lean on the crossbar. Just mow everything outside the trellis and they'll never escape. If you keep the trellis about 6' wide and you can reach into the center from either side.

Everbearing (primocane) raspberries can be mowed to the ground every year if you want just one crop.

Well mud that is probably going to be what I do, because the only kind that I am really going to be able to grow here is the Dormanred. I spoke with one of the local farmers today and he said he had grown some raspberries some time ago (3 years or so) and the only kind that really produced anything was the Dormanred. What is funny and figures is that is the one that I wasn't all that interested in getting. I guess I will have to sacrifice something in order to grow raspberries, might as well be the type. At least I will still have some.

By the way the lady at the ag office tried to convience me to do them in the first place, now I know why.

Where did my drawing go? Maybe I failed to upload it. Hope it wasn't too big. Will try again. <typey typey POOF!>

cane fruit trellis - small.jpg

Latest posts

Back