figuring alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want this to go to a dry state---where the SG is below 1.000---then rack to a carboy and put an airlock on it. Let it sit in that carboy--racking as needed. Let it age 9 months to 1 year. At that point, you can add sugar to sweeten along with sorbate to prevent the few remaining yeast cells from re-fermenting the added sugar.

I need to get over to the winery this morning for our Niagara crush. But I'm more than happy to help you along so you understand the fermentation process better. I hope you read the thread on the blackberry wine under country fruit winemaking. I took alot of time to walk vernsgal thru the whole ferment, and reading that will help you understand it better. You need to get a handle on HOW to do a smooth ferment.

Ok DrCAD, I won't add anything else for now, I may need more sugar at the end. I will just let it chill for now. Crossing my fingers.

Did you happen to measure the SG just before adding the 6# sugar?

Yes. It was the 1.042. I haven't checked it since I put the sugar in it. When should I check it again? I went to a supply store and bought potassium sorbate in case I need it.

:se

Just let it age in the carboy. You can't use the sorbate until the wine is clear.

I removed all the pulp after 7 days, added 15 pints of water and 6# of sugar. Now I am VERY CONFUSED. After putting the water and sugar in I stirred it and rechecked the SG (I washed the hydrometer to take the mark off). This time it registered 1.042.

After 7 days I removed all the pulp, added 6# sugar, 5 pts water 1 t yeast nutrient, measured SG at 1.042.

Did you happen to measure the SG just before adding the 6# sugar?

Yes. It was the 1.042. I haven't checked it since I put the sugar in it.

Your second note would imply that the temporal order was "Add sugar, then check SG." Your first and third notes would indicate "Check SG, then add sugar." Which was it?

You have asked several times now when you should check SG, and I don't think anyone has answered you. My answer is: Check the SG every day.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, allow me to explain a basic fact. (I don't want to sound insulting, but, from your notes, it seems possible that you do not know this.)
When you add sugar, the SG goes up.
The yeast eat this sugar, and produce alcohol.
As a result of this fermentation, the SG will go down.
At the end of this fermentation, the SG will be below 1.000. This is okay.
The yeast are incapable of fermenting sugar indefinitely; they can only tolerate around 15-18% alcohol before the alcohol kills them. Thus, adding too much "food" for the yeast will result in a wine that has leftover sugar in it.

Paul, you finally answered my question about checking the SG. I never want to sound obtuse, but tell me when I add more sugar. I don't want it too sweet, but I don't want it to taste sour. The last time I made it (my first attempt) it turned out great. The only mistake I made was I never checked the SG, so I had no idea the alcohol content, but it tasted like it had a high alcohol content, but it was smooth and delicious. I didn't bottle it until about 10 months. Thanks everyone.

I never want to sound obtuse, but tell me when I add more sugar. I don't want it too sweet, but I don't want it to taste sour.

Generally, this is the way this is done:

-Before fermentation starts, add sugar to get the amount of alcohol you want. (The alcohol by volume, ABV, will be close to (starting SG - 1) * 131. So if you start with SG=1.090, the ABV will be close to .090*131=11.8%.)

-Don't add any more sugar after this point. Instead, let it ferment all the way until all the sugar is gone (SG < 0.995 or so).

(Rack off lees, etc.)

-Stabilize by adding potassium sulfite and potassium sorbate.

-Now sweeten to taste by adding sugar to your liking.

Hi ya'll. Today is day 10. I racked into my carbol. My glass carbols only hold 3.5 gallons, so I have one full and one abut 1/2 full. Per you guys telling me not to add anything I just racked it. Today's SG was 1.020. I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean there is no alcohol yet? I took a tiny taste and it is not sweet at all.

Thanks,
Donna

Hi Guys. I took a SG reading today and am not quite sure what the reading would be. It was 2 lines above the 100. Do I need to add sugar yet? It doesn't look like it is bubbling anymore. Next time I'm using a recipe from the forum.

:? Donna

You want this to go to a dry state---where the SG is below 1.000---then rack to a carboy and put an airlock on it. Let it sit in that carboy--racking as needed. Let it age 9 months to 1 year. At that point, you can add sugar to sweeten along with sorbate to prevent the few remaining yeast cells from re-fermenting the added sugar.

Do I need to add sugar yet? It doesn't look like it is bubbling anymore. Next time I'm using a recipe from the forum.

I think turock was pretty clear.

Hi Guys. I took a SG reading today and am not quite sure what the reading would be. It was 2 lines above the 100.

I cannot tell which way you would mean by "above." It is probably either at SG=1.004 or 0.996, depending on which way you meant it.

Here is a video that will explain how to read a hydrometer.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7PAJaBsts"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7PAJaBsts[/ame]

Ok so from what you said it's .0996. I can see ya'll rolling your eyes at my stupid questions, but this is only my second try. did watch the SG video. Thanks all.

No----we like stupid questions. It's the ONLY way to learn. It sure isn't a stupid question if you just don't know!!!

Don't pay any attention to us----we roll our eyes all the time, anyway!! LOL.

Thanks all. I plan to rack this a bunch because the one thing I know I did wrong last time was that some of the bottles had a bit of sediment in the bottom, not much, so this time I'm going to rack the poop out of it before I bottle it. Hopefully it'll turn out a little bit sweet in the end. I've learned a lot.

Excess racking won't take sediment out of the wine, only time and gravity (or finings if you use them) will do that. Let it sit all alone and untouched for 30 days before making any more decisions.

Hey ya'll, it's me again. I followed your suggestions and have racked it a couple of times and let it sit in my garage since October. I checked the SG and it is now .990. I tasted it and it is not sweet at all. I want to sweeten it before bottling, so what do I do and if I had SG of 1.024 in October when I last checked and .990 now does that make the alcohol content .21? That doesn't seem right.

Secondly, I have 9# of blackberries for next batch. What recipe should I use for this amount of berries. I don't want to waste them because they are a pain to pick.:slp

Last edited:
Back