Fermenter - snap or screw top?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMan

Junior
Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I know George sells the snap lid type fermenter but I would like to get some screw top lids. Any help out there.

Pros - cons of both.

The snap seems so cumbersome to open and close assuming you want to lock it down. Trying to open it, I can see myself splashing the walls and floor to death with the snap down lids.

I have the screw tops. But, I use them for airtight storage of my grains (I am a homebrewer also).
One problem is price and you are defeating the original purpose of them. One thing that comes to mind is cleaning the threads (as you open the lid I can see wine juice getting stuck in the threads).

Once you make a few batches of wine you woun't even think twice about the lid being tight.

Tepe is right, you don't even need to snap that lid down tight. I just set mine on top during fermentation. The only time I snap mine down tight is if I am using a plastic bucket to ferment a batch of beer as I don't do a secondary and do the entire fermentation in the primary. Remember, with wine you rack to secondary when primary fermentation is winding down to glass and top off.

Latest posts

Back