Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickallen

Reaction score
If my fermentation area is at 68F I smell fermentation and can see some fizzing but it is not at all like I have seen it described on here. It has been 48hrs. I have one W.E selection international montepulciano and one W.E selection international South African Chenin Blanc. Any info would be great.

Nick, I would think the low temperature is contributing to the slow fermentation. I like to ferment my whites in the 70-75 degree F range and reds in the 75-80 degree F range. Your wine will ferment okay but it will likely take longer. I have a small heater with a fan that I direct on the fermenters when my ambient temperature is much lower than the above ranges. Once fermentation gets well underway, the wine temperature will rise due to that.

You could also purchase "brew belts" for your fermenters but I find my space heater works fine.

Last edited:
Rocky said:
Nick, I would think the low temperature is contributing to the slow fermentation. I like to ferment my whites in the 70-75 degree F range and reds in the 75-80 degree F range. Your wine will ferment okay but it will likely take longer. I have a small heater with a fan that I direct on the fermenters when my ambient temperature is much lower than the above ranges. Once fermentation gets well underway, the wine temperature will rise due to that.

You could also purchase "brew belts" for your fermenters but I find my space heater works fine.

I wrapped bath towels around them or the time being. But the brew belts sound like a good idea since I don't have a space heater.

Latest posts

Back