Fermentation temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The Winexpert instructions say to keep the wine at 22-24 degrees during fermentation. I do my wine making in the basement, where the temperature is typically about 19 degrees. Is this likely to make a big impact on my wine? Here in Balmy Winnipeg, my heating bills would be through the roof if I kept my basement at 22 degrees all the time.

Cheers!

You don't say what kind of yeast you are using, but I think you will be all right. You can wrap a blanket or jacket around the fermentor to help retain some of the heat the yeast will create. If your floor is concrete, make sure you set the fermentor up on something. Concrete and tile can function as heat sinks.

Some people use a heating blanket or you can get a "brew belt" to warm up the fermenter. You're not too far below target temp, so a small heating mat and a blanket should work very well.

Steve

Hope some of this helps...

Fermentation might take longer to start and go more slowly than if you kept your batch in the recommended temperature range. I've got a cooler basement so I do my fermentation, degassing and clearing in the warmer kitchen. By using warmed water I can get the must up to the recommended temp range and once fermentation kicks off it generally generates enough heat to keep the must in the recommended range for up to 7 days or so until the fermentation starts slowing down. If we're turning the thermostat down at night I'll put a down jacket onto the primary bucket in order to retain the heat in the bucket. I also make good use of my heater belt to keep the temp up until I'm ready to move the wine down into the basement for bulk aging and later on bottling and bottle storage.

Fish are far more fragile than humans. If it won't kill the fish it is safe for humans :)

Fish are more fragile, but they're also not swimming around in alcohol or a low-pH environment. I believe the body of the heater is glass, but I'm not positive what the other materials are- you may want to double check. Even at that, food grade plastics can be vastly different than industrial grade.

I do use an aquarium heater, but I'd recommend it in a swamp cooler type setup. Put your fermenter in a larger bin, fill that with water, and drop the heater in that. If your heater is adjustable, then set it at whatever you want and leave it run. If you wanted it cooler instead, you'd swap the heater out for jugs of ice.

If your basement is 19 degrees, my guess is if you:
1) Keep it off the floor - piece of cardboard to insulate between the primary and the cold floor
2) wrap a towel around it - insulate between the primary and air

the heat of fermentation may be enough to keep the must in the desired temp range.

BTW: Whites are better fermented at low temps, so if you are below the range, it is probably ok.

Latest posts

Back