Fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a wine kit yesterday morning and so far there is no fermentation activity. Is this normal? about 24 hours so far. Can i add a new pack of yeast?

Thanks for the response. I brew beer as well and it usually starts fermenting pretty quick so i was sure if the yeast was bad.
I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the response. I brew beer as well and it usually starts fermenting pretty quick so i was sure if the yeast was bad.
I appreciate the help.
No worries, just keep an eye on it, unless your yeast was old or somehow dead, it’ll get going. What temp do you have the must at now? It’ll greatly influence the time for the fermentation to get rolling.

I always have to use a blow off tube for my beer because I have it in a carboy under airlock for primary.

My wine on the other hand is in an uncovered bucket. Rarely with a kit will I see much fermentation. I usually can hear the fizzing or (as the case yesterday - I open the door to the room and am hit with a blast of CO2. Anyway, the only way to be sure with wine that you have or don't have fermentation is use that hydrometer and see that your SG is going down. And yes 24 hours is not too long to wait for wine to start fermentation. Give it a stir now and then to get the yeast going.

Also if the SG is too high, you may not get fermentation going. Since this is a kit you should be oay unless you added sugar or not enough water.

No worries, just keep an eye on it, unless your yeast was old or somehow dead, it’ll get going. What temp do you have the must at now? It’ll greatly influence the time for the fermentation to get rolling.
I have a bucket belt on it and its about 72 degrees.

Latest posts

Back