Fermentation Question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidNW

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I currently have a Kenridge Classic 30 bottle batch brewing. I've been following the instructions on this brew. The temperature has been a constant 22-23 Celsius. The starting SG was 1.080. The instructions said to do this primary ferment for about 7days with it going down to a 'target' SG of 1.010, then racking to a carboy.

I did a hydrometer test on day 6, but was surprised that the reading was already down to 1.000.

I racked off to a carboy and fitted it with an airlock and the fermentation is carrying on just fine. The rate of fermentation was a bit of a surprise to me – maybe I should have checked with the hydrometer earlier than day 6. The FG for this wine is a target of <0.995.

Will this faster fermentation be detrimental to the end product?

Many thanks,

David.

David:

I have made a lot of Ken Ridge Classic kits (when I ran a Ferment on Premises from 2001 to 2007). What you are describing is normal, as far as I'm concerned. Expect a finishing sg around .992. The KRC Merlot was the best selling kit in the store and regularly brought me new customers. So, no I don't think that it is fast or detrimental.

Steve

David:

I have made a lot of Ken Ridge Classic kits (when I ran a Ferment on Premises from 2001 to 2007). What you are describing is normal, as far as I'm concerned. Expect a finishing sg around .992. The KRC Merlot was the best selling kit in the store and regularly brought me new customers. So, no I don't think that it is fast or detrimental.

Steve

Many thanks for your input, Steve - much appreciated.

No you are fine. As fermentation comes to an end there is less CO2 to protect the wine. Racking helps protect it but you are perfectly okay.

Latest posts

Back