fermentation issue?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lccmo

Reaction score
I started some pear wine about a week ago, it started at SG 1.10, after 5 days its at 1.09 and the fermentations (bubbling etc) seems to have stopped? How do I get it to start fermenting again?

I started some pear wine about a week ago, it started at SG 1.10, after 5 days its at 1.09 and the fermentations (bubbling etc) seems to have stopped? How do I get it to start fermenting again?
Perhaps you can share your recipe and the temperatures that the wine has experienced.

Steve

2 Gallon pear juice ( I juiced 20+lbs of pears)
1 Gallon water
12 cups sugar
6tsp acid blend
3 tsp nutrient
3 campden tablets crushed
1 pkg wine yeast

Now Im wondering if I forgot to add the nutrient - is it too late now?

No it is not. I would bring the temperature up to 75 to 80F if not already there, wait a day then add energizer, or nutrient and give it a day or two. Depending on the yeast used, and current temperature simply warming the must may get it going again.

its at 72 now, but Im almost sure I missed the nutrient :(

Thanks for the replies!!

Which yeast? 72 should be more than warm enough, to bad you couldnt make this with all pear juice instead of diluting it so much. WVMJ

for future reference your starting gravity is to high for a delicate fruit wine such as pear, should be started at 1.085 or 1.090 if I were you I would add more pear don't know how you would determine the abv but depending on the yeast it should start again sorry I can't be of more help

The reason it stalled is because of lack of nutrient. You ALWAYS need nutrient and you should step-feed by dividing the entire dose in half then pitching the first dose when the yeast takes off and the second when you get to 50% sugar reduction.

adding the nutrient did the trick its off the races now. Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back