Fermentation is Done

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Robusto

Reaction score
The fermentation in our Zin is complete.

Went to Degass and not very much foam. Is this normal? The instruction said that here would be a lot of foam. I used the drill and whip for degassing.

Any ideas??

A good check is to draw off a small sample and putting it in a small bottle give it the ole thumb over the hole shake test and see if it is still gassy. If not, lucky you, ifi it is, needs more stirring or degassing by other methods.

Thanks for the tip Waldo!

I did what you said and there was a bit of gas. I am now using a vacuum technique and pulling a fair amount of small bubbles out each time.

I will continue this until the bubbles have disapated and then continue with the Fining process.

Rubusto, check out the boiling stones thread in the shortcuts section, makes it a whole lot easier. Crackedcork

Was it a regular Zin or a White Zin? I have done both and the Zin didn't foam much at all but the White Zin was a volcano after I added the F-Pack and stirred. Made a bit if a mess. Had the same happen with the Island Mist Zin.

One thing that affects this as well is the temperature of the wine. The warmer the wine the faster and easierit will degas but seems to foam more. I try to get mine up to around 75 F to degas but it is tough as the wife keeps the house as cold as the Sub-Zero fridge here. I normally have to add about a week to each step of a kit due to the temps.Edited by: smurfe

Latest posts

Back