Fermentation faster than expected

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satxwineguy

Junior
Reaction score
We're making our first fine - Cab Sauv from a WineExpert kit. Today is day 6 of primary fermentation, and we're racking it now. My concern is that the SG is lower than the instructions say it should be at this point. They say it should be 1.010 or lower - I'm reading 0.992. That didn't concern me at first, because 0.992 is lower than 1.010. However, the next step in the instructions says to allow 10 days of secondary fermentation for the wine to get down to 0.996, then proceed to stabilizing and clearing. Um, I'm below that already on Day 1 of secondary. Questions:
  • Why would this happen? Has something gone wrong?
  • Should I go ahead and start stabilizing and clearing (adding metabisulphite and sorbate) now?
  • Any other thoughts?

We're making our first fine - Cab Sauv from a WineExpert kit. Today is day 6 of primary fermentation, and we're racking it now. My concern is that the SG is lower than the instructions say it should be at this point. They say it should be 1.010 or lower - I'm reading 0.992. That didn't concern me at first, because 0.992 is lower than 1.010. However, the next step in the instructions says to allow 10 days of secondary fermentation for the wine to get down to 0.996, then proceed to stabilizing and clearing. Um, I'm below that already on Day 1 of secondary. Questions:
  • Why would this happen? Has something gone wrong?
  • Should I go ahead and start stabilizing and clearing (adding metabisulphite and sorbate) now?
  • Any other thoughts?

No, nothing is wrong, it just fermented past the point of your transfer target. In future fermentations, go to the carboy based upon SG readings instead of time. Let it sit in the carboy for a few days to complete fermentation and continue on per the instructions. Unless you intend to add sugar to your wine, consider skipping the sorbate, dry as your wine is, you don't need it. Some folks think it gives a funny taste.

Many here, when they get to the bottling time, choose to let their wines sit longer to allow additional clearing and oaking time, but that's a personal choice.

Unless you intend to add sugar to your wine, consider skipping the sorbate, dry as your wine is, you don't need it. Some folks think it gives a funny taste.

Well dang. My Shiraz is at 0.992 also and I racked it for clearing and added the sorbate as it said to add it. I thought about adding sugar, but had no idea what I was doing so I didn't hah.

I'm making the Blood Wine tomorrow, so I guess I will get a crash course on adding sugar.

Well dang. My Shiraz is at 0.992 also and I racked it for clearing and added the sorbate as it said to add it. I thought about adding sugar, but had no idea what I was doing so I didn't hah.

I'm making the Blood Wine tomorrow, so I guess I will get a crash course on adding sugar.

No harm done, I don't really notice the taste after my wines have been in the carboy for a while. if you skip sorbate on a dry wine, and you decide to sweeten it up, you can add the sorbate later on, just prior to sweetening.

I started an Island Mist Merlot Ho Ho kit last Saturday. My kit did the same thing. It was at .0992 this morning so I racked it and will fine and stabilize it next weekend. Thank you for your post. It eases my concerns.

For me, many kits reach .992 in 7 days. IMO, it happens if the temperature is reasonable. After racking to carboy, I usually wait till the time specified has passed before continuing.

Steve

I started an Island Mist Merlot Ho Ho kit last Saturday. My kit did the same thing. It was at .0992 this morning so I racked it and will fine and stabilize it next weekend. Thank you for your post. It eases my concerns.

Yes, Island Mist kit ferment really fast because the starting SG is around 1.050-1.060. I have my 3rd kit on primary. Add some dextrose for a starting SG of 1.072.

So the lesson for today is,,,, lower starting SG (less sugars to ferment) and warmer temperature (@68F to mid 70's) can result in a rather quick ferment to dry (.990-.992) than you might have expected. No harm ever reported in this circumstance. Do NOT skip the K-meta treatment!!! You may forego K-Sorbate only if you have no intentions of backsweetening or flavoring with anything that may contain sugar. This to preclude an outbreak of "bottle bombs" as a result of renewed fermentation. Written instructions are GENERAL in nature,, intended to provide you with a consumable product regardless of what you don't know about the winemaking process. Soooo much to learn, and you're in the right place to learn it!!! Enjoy:b

Down here where I live, other than the dead of winter, my A/C runs to cool the house and I keep it set on 75 F. My fermentation times are generally 33%-50% faster than the kit times, I just use the hydrometer as my guide. These temps are ok for bigger red wines, my temps will regularly get into the mid to upper 80's during the most vigorous phase, good for tannin and color extraction. Not the best for delicate flavors and aromas. For my whites, I have to battle temps during fermentation.

Thanks, All. I like big, dry reds..not sweet...so I'll skip the sorbate. I'm about to go out of town, day after tomorrow. By the time I get back it will have been 7 days since I racked it to secondary. The only possible opportunity I'll have to fine and stabilize before then is tomorrow - 2 days out of the primary. I'd rather wait - will it be OK?

Waiting is fine, and preferred. You're good. 2 weeks in secondary is actually part of an extended schedule many use.

Thanks, All. I like big, dry reds..not sweet...so I'll skip the sorbate. I'm about to go out of town, day after tomorrow. By the time I get back it will have been 7 days since I racked it to secondary. The only possible opportunity I'll have to fine and stabilize before then is tomorrow - 2 days out of the primary. I'd rather wait - will it be OK?

You could really go either way, you've already left the gross lees behind, so it's dealers choice. If you have any visible signs of fermentation at all, just wait.

Latest posts

Back