Fermentation completion and SG levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I'm confused at not only what is correct, but what is possible.

So, I now have three batches of wine going. (two kits and a dragons blood) Currently, the two kits are basically fermenting till they basically have no sugar left. (0.992 is what they have gotten too) This makes for a dry wine and I can always back sweeten I suppose.

My question is this. I've read where people go to the clearing stage at 0.998 and even still above 1.0+. I've read that sorbate prevents further fermentation, but I then read that adding sorbate to an active fermentation won't stop it from fermenting.

So, I have a few questions so I can better understand the process and what it possible.

1. Can you (and if you do) move to the clearing stage while the wine is still above 1.0+ SG?
  2. If you do, does it continue to ferment in the clearing stage even if you add sorbate?
  3. What is the reasoning to do this if you can? Sweeter wine? Why wouldn't you just allow fermentation to complete then back sweeten? I would think that gives you more precise control over both the alcohol level and sweetness
  4. Finally, if you do like I'm doing (ferment till .992) when starting the back sweetening process about where to do you start per gallon of adding sugar where you can start to taste the difference? 1/2 cup per gallon? My dragons blood will come up for sweetening and I would like an idea of where to start. (start slow and keep testing till I find where I want it)

Thanks!

So, I now have three batches of wine going. (two kits and a dragons blood) Currently, the two kits are basically fermenting till they basically have no sugar left. (0.992 is what they have gotten too) This makes for a dry wine and I can always back sweeten I suppose.

My question is this. I've read where people go to the clearing stage at 0.998 and even still above 1.0+. I've read that sorbate prevents further fermentation, but I then read that adding sorbate to an active fermentation won't stop it from fermenting.

So, I have a few questions so I can better understand the process and what it possible.

1. Can you (and if you do) move to the clearing stage while the wine is still above 1.0+ SG? you can but most wines will continue to ferment, therefore dropping more sediment. I always wait until at least .996 before thinking about clearing, stabilizing, etc. I have had some wines, ie: meads, super sugar welchs, etc. that I clear when SG is higher, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.
  2. If you do, does it continue to ferment in the clearing stage even if you add sorbate? I don't do this, it makes no sense to do it and runs too many risks
  3. What is the reasoning to do this if you can? Sweeter wine? Why wouldn't you just allow fermentation to complete then back sweeten? I would think that gives you more precise control over both the alcohol level and sweetness you are correct, run it dry, then move forward with the process(es)
  4. Finally, if you do like I'm doing (ferment till .992) when starting the back sweetening process about where to do you start per gallon of adding sugar where you can start to taste the difference? 1/2 cup per gallon? My dragons blood will come up for sweetening and I would like an idea of where to start. (start slow and keep testing till I find where I want it)
not knowing your preferences I can only give what I do. With DB or others, I start at 1/2c and go from there. I am a dry red drinker so I don't like anything overly sweet. My wife on the other hand does. I normally make the DB type wines with between 1/4 - 1/2c per gal. for me and between 3/4 -1c per gal. for her

Thanks!

See red above.

A home wine maker will have extreme difficulties stopping any active fermentation. A really fine filter can do it as can some chemical techniques, but generally home winemakers let it run until completion and back-sweeten (with the proper chemical additives).

Its just easier to let it go...

1. Can you (and if you do) move to the clearing stage while the wine is still above 1.0+ SG?
  2. If you do, does it continue to ferment in the clearing stage even if you add sorbate?
  3. What is the reasoning to do this if you can? Sweeter wine? Why wouldn't you just allow fermentation to complete then back sweeten? I would think that gives you more precise control over both the alcohol level and sweetness

Thanks!

A word about potassium sorbate. You are correct, it will not stop an active fermentation, but what it does do, is keep yeast from multiplying. So the yeast that are actively fermenting sugars to alcohol will continue their activity until their natural life cycle ends, but won't reproduce additional yeast to continue the activity. it's a safer bet to allow the yeast to do it's job until the fermentable sugars are gone, there is no more food and they expire. You rack and leave lots of them behind and add your sorbate / KMS. Now when you backsweeten, you have created a very hostile environment for yeast, and one in which they can't multiply to attack the sugar you've added, a stable, sweetened wine.

FWIW, I do not ever recall people on WMT talking about moving to the clearing stage at 1.000. Often, we talk about moving from the primary fermentation vessel to the secondary fermentation vessel (or, colloquially, "to primary") at SG=1.000, but not clearing.

As far as sweetening your Dragon Blood, pour a glass and slowly add suger til you get it where you like it. Then take a sg reading and sweeten your batch to that number. Roughly, one cup of sugar will raise the sg of a gallon .020. I would sweeten it slightly less than you like it because it will get sweeter as it ages. (if it ages)

Attempting to stabilize while your wine is still fermenting will also stress the remaining yeast - can give off-flavors.

If you are using a less tolerant yeast you can also overload it and add sugar beyond its alcohol tolerance, so the yeast quits and dies off before you get below 1.00. Or you can use a yeast that is made to enhance fruit flavors so you get the perception of sweetness and a bit more fruit/berry aroma in a dry wine. 71B-1122 works well for that to make an extra smooth, aromatic white or blush.

As others have said, clearing certainly shouldn't be done until you have a stable wine. And many wine makers don't use any clearing agents at all unless the wine needs it, but rely on time (bulk aging) to clear the wine via gravity. It's a personal choice (no right or wrong) if you want to bulk age and have time do the work for you, or be more expedient and use clearing agents which could affect the flavor of the wine (depending what you use).

Back