Experience with Lalvin BA-11, Rhone 4600 or 58W3?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronSC

Reaction score
Hi all,
Last year I tried some newer strains for my whites (QA23, D254 and GRE), in addition to my old stand-by D47. I really expected to like QA23 based on the marketing materials, but it ended up as my least favorite. This year I was going to add a few new strains to the mix.

The grapes I will have are:

fiano 500lbs (El Dorado)
grenache blanc 500lbs (Amador)
vermentino 400lbs (El Dorado)

Reading through the literature, I found three strains that I thought sounded good for the grapes and what I am going for (expression of fruit, mouthfeel).

Do you guysl have any experience with any of these strains (Lalvin BA-11, Rhone 4600 or 58W3)? I'd love tp hear about it. I learned through experience that D47 needs nitrogen to perform well and Cotes des Blancs loves to stick.

Thanks,

-Aaron

I have used the Rhone 4600 twice (maybe three times) when fermenting a hybrid grape Chambourcin and St. Vincent. It has a low nutrient requirement, short lag phase, and you can ferment at lower temps. I like the mouthfeel you get from it and the way the fruit comes through. My two year ago Chambourcin is among the best from grape wines I have made, French Oak chips were added during fermentation and then again while aging. It has a nice small hint of chocolate.

I used Rhone 4600 on a merlot rose. I give lots of aroma, strawberries especially in rose. It can cool fermented in my cellar at 55-60 F with no problem. I would use again for sure.

Used D254 on lighter body reds, GRE on rose. I’m a fan of 4600, but these past few years, sticking to the Avante line. Care free, non-H2S finishes. For whites, Avante TR-313

Used D254 on lighter body reds, GRE on rose. I’m a fan of 4600, but these past few years, sticking to the Avante line. Care free, non-H2S finishes. For whites, Avante TR-313
Thanks for this -I have no experience with this line. I've heard they were bred to not produce sulfides, which is great. I was worried it would be like EC1118, easy to use, but really neutral. In your experience which Lalvin strain would you compare this to, character-wise?

-Aaron

Thanks for this -I have no experience with this line. I've heard they were bred to not produce sulfides, which is great. I was worried it would be like EC1118, easy to use, but really neutral. In your experience which Lalvin strain would you compare this to, character-wise?

-Aaron

I've often had the same thought and quite honestly only had one issue with SO2 and that was with a low temperature white ferment that I didn't monitor very well.

-Aaron
Here is the description. I’d have to agree with it. What I like the most is it retains the fruitiness.

Avante is a H2S-preventing red wine yeast strain that produces an intense fruit overture followed by a mild spiciness and a smooth tannin finish. Avante also imparts good mid-palate fullness with color and flavor stability across all varietals. The strain ferments at a moderate tempo and performs well in medium nitrogen musts.

Renaissance Yeast’s strains have excellent fermentation kinetics, desirable sensory characteristics, and are produced to the highest quality standards. Renaissance Yeast is the exclusive developer of a novel, patented H2S-preventing technology that is the result of a natural trait in yeast that increases sulfur and nitrogen utilization efficiency during fermentation, thereby preventing hydrogen sulfide formation.

Latest posts

Back