Ever use a steam juicer outside?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewgrrrl

Reaction score
So, it's the first season I've had a steam juicer and since we don't have air conditioning in the house I am thinking that using it inside would probably kill us all (it's in the 90's outside today). At the same time, all of this fantastic fruit is in season and my freezer is getting full.

I've been thinking about usingthe steam juiceroutdoors with my propane cooker but I'm wondering about how to make sure that the jars are still sterile and they still seal. Has anyone ever tried this before and, if so do you have any suggestions about how to do it?

DO NOT USE INSIDEIF USING PROPANE

I use mine in my detached garage with the door open on my propane burner.

what I do is put the "Mason" jars in my toaster oven @ 400* then cool a little and fill.

Thanks, Tepe - I never had any intension of using the propane indoors!
smiley11.gif
That's one of those things that should always be said though for everyone's safety so - thank you.
GREAT idea about the toaster oven!!! I have an outdoor outlet near where I want to use the propane cooker.
smiley20.gif

I keep my jars in a 250 degree oven prior to use. Each is removed when I am ready to fill it. I fill it from the steamer reservoir and affix a lid that was boiled a couple of minutes. I immediately add the ring and hand tighten. The filled jar is placed on a folded towel and allowed to cool at room temperature. I have never had a jar fail to seal with this process nor have I had a jar to spoil.

Thanks, Smokegrub. My logistical problems are about trying this outdoors, which I've never done before. I think the toaster oven is going to do the trick for heating the jars though. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

You could just capture the juice in a large pan and then transfer it to the jars inside after you are through juicing

I have read in several places where they advise against heating the jars in an oven. Seems it weakens the glass. Putting them in a hot water bath would be OK. Especially if you are pouring directly from the juicer to the jars.

They were probably thinking about heating the oven to 300-350 degrees. Obviously, a hot bath canner should not be a problem. I would make sure the jars are warm enough to prevent thermal shock and breakage of the glass. 180 degrees seems to be close enough. This is from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving.

I have used a toaster oven @ 300* for 20 min with no problem

Latest posts

Back