RJ Spagnols En Primeur WS Sauvignon Blanc - Double Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinodawg

Junior
Reaction score
Starting the EPWS Sauvignon Blanc kit today. It came with 2 packages of QA23 yeast (2 x 5g). Should I use both packages or do you think it is a mistake on the part of the mfg?

They had some issues with some kits getting 2 packs of yeast instead of one. I have made that kit and it came with one only. save the other for another kit

cheers

Thanks Putterrr and Johnd. I also sent a msg to the RJS. Will let you know what I hear back.

RJS Product Support Advisor recommended to use both, so I guess I will. Started out at 1.092. I'll let you know how it progresses over the next week or so.

IMHO, 1.092 does not need 2 packets of yeast.

Unless, you keep the juice cold (60-70 degrees) while fermenting. For whites, the cold temps keep more of the volatile organic compounds, which you want for whites.

The guy that got me into this sport was told to double the yeast in all his kits, and he told me the same. I never got a solid answer on why it's better, but his wines are consistently better than mine, so it's hard to argue.

The guy that got me into this sport was told to double the yeast in all his kits, and he told me the same. I never got a solid answer on why it's better, but his wines are consistently better than mine, so it's hard to argue.

Interesting. Is that the only thing he does different or are there other differences in your kits. Aging, additions, etc.

thx

Interesting. Is that the only thing he does different or are there other differences in your kits. Aging, additions, etc.

thx

Similar process, he doubles the yeast, I try to and do so occasionally, but most often do not because I buy online. He buys from his LHBS, where it's convenient to open the kit on site and pick up an extra packet of the same yeast.

Back