Other Newbie wine kit question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzyq2

Reaction score
Hello. I started a RJS Primeur white trio kit the other day. The kit seems very well written and easy to follow except...It came with 2 packages of potassium sorbate 3.25g per pack. It does not specify when/where 2nd package should be introduced. A 2nd package is not in the list of items. So I'm thinking it's an accident but in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe they assume I'm smart enough to know I need to add both packages. Well I'm not! It's a 6 gallon kit if that helps. Add or toss?

Hello. I started a RJS Primeur white trio kit the other day. The kit seems very well written and easy to follow except...It came with 2 packages of potassium sorbate 3.25g per pack. It does not specify when/where 2nd package should be introduced. A 2nd package is not in the list of items. So I'm thinking it's an accident but in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe they assume I'm smart enough to know I need to add both packages. Well I'm not! It's a 6 gallon kit if that helps. Add or toss?
I am not familiar with this kit, so I am asking, does it have a sweetener pack? I don't know if the wine is supposed to be dry, off dry or sweet, but the presence of a sweetener packet would indicate either off dry or sweet. Regarding your question, I would guess that the second sorbate packet was an error. Sorbate is to protect wines with residual sugar from re-fermenting.

Thank you all for the speedy reply. I will see how long I can live without my 6 gallon carboy before I decide to add Sorbate or not. I'm hoping to bulk age for a few months though I don't know if that really helps with a kit. Really happy to hear this is a great kit as I'm making a white for my sis and nieces for Christmas.

Thank you all for the speedy reply. I will see how long I can live without my 6 gallon carboy before I decide to add Sorbate or not. I'm hoping to bulk age for a few months though I don't know if that really helps with a kit. Really happy to hear this is a great kit as I'm making a white for my sis and nieces for Christmas.
Kit wines are wine -- bulk aging is a good thing. I suggest not bottling before the 4 month mark -- this gives the wine time to fully clear, and age a bit. Keep in mind the normal beginner bottles at the 2 month mark and starts drinking the wine at the 2.00000001 month mark .... ;)

Every time you rack the wine, taste it. At first it's not good, but this teaches you how wine changes as it ages.

To clarify previous posts -- sorbate is birth control for yeast. It prevents yeast from reproducing, so if you have a wine with no activity sorbate + K-meta prevents a renewed fermentation. Note that sorbate does not stop a fermentation.

However -- if your wine is dry (SG <= 1.000), you do not need sorbate since there is no sugar for the yeast to eat.

The 2nd packet is an error. You don't need the 2nd packet.

Latest posts

Back