Elderberries - New American Cultivars Wyldewoods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
With so much recent interest in elderberries this week I thought now would be a good time to mention again that there are 2 new American cultivars of Elderberries which, though the research papers havent been released yet, have been mentioned to out produce the standard varieties. They are named Wyldewood #1 and unfortunately Wyldewood #2. Eventually they will become mixed up at the nurseries so now is a good time to order your very own Wyldewoods so you can tell them apart. #1 is supposed to favor a tree like growth habit and is the highest yielder while the #2 is more of a typical bushlike shrub. A very nice little ol lady, Marge Millican in Checotah, OK, phone 918-473-0797, asked if I would let people know there are some avaible, just call her up to order. Now, if you want to know anything about growing, picking or making wine out of elderberries she IS the lady to talk to and she loves to share her elderberry experiences. I suggest if anyone is thinking about planting some elderberry bushes that they give a few of these a try. I havent any affiliation other than a love for elderberry wine.

Crackedcork

Thanks for sharing the info. I will definately be giving her a call.

Well, just got off the phone with Marge ( what an enjoyable conversation, she is the female version of George) and will have two large Wyldewood elderberry trees that will be shipping to me on Monday.
Wohoooooooooooo!!!!

This just updated TODAY:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center =#ffffff>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD></TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =breadCrumbsText>You are here: Research / </TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" summary="This table displays the top nav category ing">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =/incme/s/green_bk.gif>
Research_head.gif
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<A name=maincontents></A>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" summary="This table is for layout of the contents and right sidebar columns">
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="100%">

<a href="" target="_blank">

<!--
variables:
request.qryGetTabLocStructure.sitelabel is set in /handf/locations/pandp_tabs.htm
-->Research Project: Phenological Characteristics and Horticultural Suitability of 35 New Elderberry Selections

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>2006 Annual Report

4d.Progress report.
This report serves to document research conducted under a specific cooperative agreement between ARS and the University of Missouri. Additional details of research can be found in the report for the parent project 5358-21000-036-00D, Physiology, Biochemistry, and Genetic Improvement of Small Fruit Crops.

Dr. Andrew Thomas and collaborators conducted the following research towards the agreements objectives:

Since 1999, researchers at the University of Missouri¿s Southwest Research Center at Mt. Vernon, and the State Fruit Experiment Station of Missouri State University at Mountain Grove, have been developing and studying a collection of improved elderberry (Sambucus nigra subsp. canadensis) cultivars. We presently have more than 60 cultivars and selections under evaluation at both locations and continue to search for superior germplasm. Grant #1 allowed us to diligently screen and evaluate 35 initial cultivars for their horticultural potential. We were amazed at the phenological diversity within these selections, as well as their varying yield potentials. Grant #2 permitted us to plant scientifically-based experiments at three diverse locations to elucidate true horticultural differences and to allow us to recommend superior cultivars for release to the public. Several scientific publications (see below) are and will be a direct result of these two grants. More than 500 elderberry plants were propagated, grown, and evaluated for these studies. Once the plantings were installed, they became an excellent resource for additional horticultural studies. For example, we now have a $75,496 grant proposal being considered (with excellent chance for funding) by Land O¿Lakes for a long-term soil fertility and plant nutrition study. Without the initial startup funding from USDA, this terrific expansion of the project would not have been possible. We continue to document the tremendous genetic diversity and horticultural potential among the 60 elderberry cultivars under evaluation. Two cultivars, `Gordon B¿ and `Wyldewood 1¿ have performed so well in our trials that we are currently negotiating with their owners to publish and release the cultivars to the public. Horticultural data on growth, vigor, hardiness, cane production, and disease and insect susceptibility continue to be collected, along with fruiting characteristics such as panicle size and number, berry size and number, fruit quality, flavor, color, skin characteristics, and ripening period. We have also been working with the USDA South Central Agricultural Research Laboratory at Lane, OK to quantify the fruit and juice characteristics of each cultivar. Our studies have also expanded into the medicinal aspects of elderberry fruit and non-fruit tissues, which appear to be equally diverse among the various cultivars.

</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD></TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=bottom>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=179 align=center =#e7eee6 summary="This table is for layout of the right navigation">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =grayColor colSpan=3 height=1 alt=""></TD>
<TR =rightNav>
<TD =grayColor width=1>
spacer.gif
</TD>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=179 summary="This table is for layout of the right navigation s">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =rightNav_label align=middle colSpan=2>Project Team</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2 height=5></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle width=17>
list_but_3.gif
</TD>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px" vAlign=top align=left>Finn, Chad [/b]</TD></TR>
<TR>
list_but_3.gif
</TD>
<TD =blackLabel style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px" vAlign=top align=left>Andrew Thomas - Research Associate </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2 height=3></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD =grayColor width=1>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =grayColor colSpan=3 height=1>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>

<TR vAlign=bottom>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=179 align=center =#e7eee6 summary="This table is for layout of the right navigation">
<T>
<TR>
<TR =rightNav>
<TD =grayColor width=1>
spacer.gif
</TD>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=179 summary="This table is for layout of the right navigation s">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =rightNav_label align=middle colSpan=2>Project Annual Reports</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR>
list_but_3.gif
</TD>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px" vAlign=top align=left>FY 2006</TD></TR>
<TR>
list_but_3.gif
</TD>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px" vAlign=top align=left>FY 2005</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =grayColor width=1>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
spacer.gif
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>

<TR vAlign=botton>
<TD>
<T>
<TR>
<TR =rightNav>
<TD =grayColor width=1>
spacer.gif
</TD>
<TD>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =rightNav_label align=middle colSpan=2>Related National Programs</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR>
list_but_3.gif
</TD>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px" vAlign=top align=left>Plant Biological and Molecular Processes (302)</TD></TR>
<TR>
list_but_3.gif
</TD>
<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px" vAlign=top align=left>Plant Genetic Resources, Genomics and Genetic Improvement (301)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =grayColor width=1>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
spacer.gif
<TR>
<TD></TD></TR>

</T></TABLE></TD>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE><!--
variables
application.objSites is created in application.cfm; ually it will be created in application.cfc
-->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" =#ffffff>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 200px" align=right>Last Modified: 02/26/2007 </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Cant wait until their papers get published, seems to be taking FOREVER! There are some more elderberry improvement project links on my webpage. Crackedcork

OK..... Couldn't wait any longer...... I called Marge.... What a great lady!

I ordered 2 of the largest 3 year old plants she had, she said I should have them by mid next week.

Highly recommend others to buy from Marge. They useually have plants that range from $5 each to $25 each (plus shipping), but are out of all the $5 plants, have a couple $10 and $15 ones left. Better gobble them up while you can!

It would be cool to see how they do spread over the country. Mine are going to be growing in WV zone 6 and will get big heaping piles of horse poop for mulch every year. How about the rest of you guys getting the Wyldewoods? Where are going to plant them?

Crackedcork in WV

Mine will be in NC, between Winston Salem and the Virginia Border.

The best mine is going to get is watering and a bunch of Bull S$#t..............

When I go out and talk to them
smiley36.gif

Man, I got some cuttings for the Wyldewood #2 a couple of weeks ago from her and they are sending out stems now under lights and under a plastic cover inside. Elderberry cuttings are so easy to get going normally that its easy to get out of hand and have too many edlerberry bushes, though I havent figured out how many is too many yet. Maybe if I plant enough there will be enough for me and the birds, although I will probably just get more birds!

Cracked COrk

Got mine in this morning, they are very nice and cant wait to start this springs Wineyard planting! Cracked COrk

I am waiting on the delivery of mine, and also want to get them in te ground as soon as they arive. The past couple of years, we have had late spring frost that come after most of the trees and plants are in bloom. Last year I was able to cover my peach trees but did not protect the pear trees and plum trees. The plum trees died and the pear trees produced 4 pears. Even the peach trees only produced about 30 pounds, or less than a bushel between 3 trees. This year, with te addition of my muscadine vines, black currant bushesand these elderberries bushes, I bought me some of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-12-MINI-BAMBOO-TIKI-TORCHES-NEW-TABLE-TORCH-LUAU_W0QQitemZ270018312342QQihZ017QQcategoryZ102421QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I bought 2 lots of 12 for a total of 24. THey are short enough to hopefully heat the area around te plants enough from keeping them from freezing. I figure it's worth a shot, if that don't work, next year I am tenting my whole back yard.....
smiley36.gif

Dont worry about frost on elderberries, they dont flower until the summer and they will start to leaf out well before the frosts are over. Have you considered using a sprinkler system to protect against frost? Probably a lot better then some candles :) Cracked COrk

Thats what she told me too Cracked. I was going to keep mine in the greenhouse for a few days until this cold snap passed through but she told me to get them in the ground so I did.

elderberrytree.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, how on earth did you get it in the earth? Isn't there three feet of frost? I know it's been a mild winter but there is still 2-3 feet of frost, more some places.

And is that green grass there? You guys with all your spring stuff is really making me jealous.
smiley18.gif

Got mine planted this morning, what nice plants! Going to try to grow the WW#1 as a tree and the #2 as bushes. One nice little elderberry lady Marge is.

Cracked COrk

I need to give her a call I guess Cracked. I had ordered two trees and I think I actually got a tree and a bush. The other plant is just a curved single stem.

appleman said:
Waldo, how on earth did you get it in the earth? Isn't there three feet of frost? I know it's been a mild winter but there is still 2-3 feet of frost, more some places.

And is that green grass there? You guys with all your spring stuff is really making me jealous.
smiley18.gif

smiley36.gif
On our worst winter NW I dont think we have over 3-4 inches of frost line and yep our grass is turning green and trees are beginning to bud out.

Latest posts

Back