Effervescent SO2 - check my math?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I want to add this to fresh crushed grapes this fall to protect the must for 24 hrs until I pitch the yeast. Please double check my math.

If I mix up a 2g packet in 10cc of water I can use a syringe to does my must at 1 cc per gal to give it about 50ppm SO2?

0.33 grams KMETA per gallon of Must results in 50ppm. For 10 gallons of Must you would need 3.3 grams of powdered meta-bisulfite. If you do not have a gram scale, ½ teaspoon (level) is about 3.3 grams and adds 50ppm (“total”) to 10 gallons. To use: Dilute the sulfite powder in water or juice until the crystals are completely dissolved and thoroughly mix into the must.

Mike, that's what I usally do. I've been reading the morewines red wine book and they like the effervescent packets, just was curious it that would be the way to use them. I'm getting a bunch of small batches of grapes from FVW (ranging from 2 - 4 lugs) and was looking for an easy way to use the packets. If it's too much trouble I'll just do the kmeta.

No that works out the same as long as you can get it ALL to dissolve in the 10ml, you would dose 1cc per gallon then which is not much so you would have to make sure you didn't miss the must!

Latest posts

Back