WineXpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He lives about 20 or so miles from me and our wine rooms seem to stay about the same temperature, so I think if you go a few posts past that one you will see that his ambient temps were in the low 60's, so that's a heating pad, as his temp during ferment was in the low 70's.

Yep. That's a heating pad. In the future, I think I'd use it in the height of winter went the room gets down to 58*.

Planning to start two to four wines this winter (depending on whether my buddies are interested in going in on a kit or two). So, it may see some use.

If you make a few whites that is a perfect temperature! I'm thinking of a few frozen juice pails if Santa gives me a gift this year (or if I can talk my brother into funding a few projects, he came over and seemed interested).

Judging by the cord, I would say it is a heating pad. Not everyone lives in South Texas, you know! :)

lol...i figured but was hoping for one.. haha I have a friend that has a cooling pad like that.. of course in texas we worry about heat not cool temps :)

I just pitched the yeast tonight on this kit. Looking forward to it ... wish i wouldn't be looking forward for soo long ... the wife is excited as well so hopefully this turns out well. Any actual commercial wines someone would like to throw out there that this compares too? Something that will hopefully keep our hopes up?

Just waiting to finish fermenting, then onto stabilising and clearing replaced yeast with rc212 tasting it every step of the way! Yummy, yum, yum, yum!:HB thank you Homebrew Supply

Last edited:
Still have any in 375's? That's what they are there for, plus it is the 7 month anniversary from your yeast pitch date! That be like not getting your wife a present on her birthday (I'm thinking in wine years, each month for a wine equates to a human year).

Still have any in 375's? That's what they are there for, plus it is the 7 month anniversary from your yeast pitch date! That be like not getting your wife a present on her birthday (I'm thinking in wine years, each month for a wine equates to a human year).

We tried the Enigma for the first time, instead. Surprisingly sweet, lots of body...

Just moved this SL Merlot into my new rack... Disappointed to see quite a bit of sediment in the bottles. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah, let me know what you find... I'm not too worried. Guess I'll be pouring it through a filter into my decanter if it proves to be a problem.

Tonight I just started step #3 (stabilizing and clearing). I added the 3 packages of oak cubes as directed. Can I save these oak cubes At next racking and add them again ... For a more oaky flavor? Seems odd to just leave them in contact for an 8 day period.

I moved onto stabilising and clearing today. It didn't taste as dry as it measured though 0095! It Has been measuring 0095 for about a week now I don't normally add sorbate when the reading is that low but didn't want to mess with this kit! Was planning to age in carboy for a year but I think as long as it's sparkling clear in 6 months I'll probably bottle. :db Tasting it just made me more anxious to get this bottled!

mforney12 yep you sure can! Just give them a good rinsing before tossing them back in the fermenter:b and make sure to do a taste test but I would do the tasting before racking so not to introduce more oxygen and just do a taste every other day until it gets enough of the taste your looking for and then rack hope this helps

Last edited:
Tonight I just started step #3 (stabilizing and clearing). I added the 3 packages of oak cubes as directed. Can I save these oak cubes At next racking and add them again ... For a more oaky flavor? Seems odd to just leave them in contact for an 8 day period.

Yeah, I agree with BarbieK. You can recover these and put them into the carboy for the next stage.

@barbiek , do you mean 0.995?

I drop in the oak cubes or sticks at the beginning of bulk aging and let them sit for 3 months then discard at rack time...

Yeah, let me know what you find... I'm not too worried. Guess I'll be pouring it through a filter into my decanter if it proves to be a problem.

No sediment at all. The wine is starting to show what it's going to taste like when it's ready. Finer and smoother than the first taste. Not as brash. Aside from being a little green still, this is on par with some commercial Merlot that I would break out at family and holiday dinners.

Back