drying hoses?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just hang mine up with the ends hanging down.

Before I hang mine I run K-meta thru them, I worry some moisture might cling and colonize so I figure the K-meta will kill it before it can start.

Before I hang mine I run K-meta thru them, I worry some moisture might cling and colonize so I figure the K-meta will kill it before it can start.

That is probably not a bad idea, I just rinse mine out thoroughly and then hang

After drinking from one of my racking hoses for a week due to a boil notice, I'm actually thinking about buying a few more (they're cheap) and using the hoses for dedicated purpose.

I was surprised at all the different things that had leached into the hose and leached back from the hose into the water.

If you don't believe that tastes affects your wine, siphon some room temperature water into a glass through one of your tubes and take a sip.

After drinking from one of my racking hoses for a week due to a boil notice, I'm actually thinking about buying a few more (they're cheap) and using the hoses for dedicated purpose.

I was surprised at all the different things that had leached into the hose and leached back from the hose into the water.

If you don't believe that tastes affects your wine, siphon some room temperature water into a glass through one of your tubes and take a sip.

Are you talking about flavor from the hose itself as in drinking water from a garden hose and it tasting like plastic? Or are you talking about particulates that have coated the hose and have become dislodged?

moesagoodboy said:
Are you talking about flavor from the hose itself as in drinking water from a garden hose and it tasting like plastic? Or are you talking about particulates that have coated the hose and have become dislodged?

After spending half an hour cleaning a hose bottling attachment and racking cane I that i normally use for wine and beer, i racked my sanitized (boiled) water from my stainless steel pot into a 5 gallon water jug and my family used it to cook with, wash hands and drink.

This was because of a boil order due to an accident involving a sewage system and a busted water line.

I am thinking of getting a 6 inch or so pvc pipe with two caps with one removable to store tubes and racking canes. Toss a little kmeta in there occasionally. Probably cut into a 2 to 2 1/2 feet in length..

After cleaning my racking cane and hoses I put a little Kmeta in the hose and then connect the cane and hose in a loop. Hang from a hook in the ceiling and rotate every now and then.
When ready for next use I run water through the hoses and sanitize the outside of the racking cane.

Swing them around your head like a cowboy with a lasso. That will get most of the moisture out. Then hang em up.

Since I started using a corkador, I keep them in there. They seem sto stay cleaner, and I don't worry about a little moisture being in there.

Boatboy, what's a corkador?

Runningwolf has a post on here on how to make a corridor, it has really become popular. Of you do a search, I'm sure you will find it or maybe Runningwolf will be on later to direct you.

The first corkidore pictured I use for corks and the second for hoses. It is essentially a sealed pail with a jug placed in the center which contains a strong solution of kmeta solution. The vapors will keep the corks and hoses sanitized.

corkidore 01.JPG

corkidore 02.JPG

I use a 5 gal pail with tight lid, [under $5 at Lowes] for ALL my storage. I put the K-meta in a plastic container in the bottom, then all my hoses & AIO bottling attachment on top, with my corks in a plastic colander on the very top. There is also room for a mixing ladle etc. All hoses are rinsed, & spritzed with k-meta before going into the bucket. Simple & all the stuff you need to rack or bottle in one place. Roy

Latest posts

Back