Other Dry Red Selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyPhil

Reaction score
:a1 I am looking for a kit wine in the Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir category that is going to give me a nice peppery flavor. I know these are kits and that I shouldn't expect much but does anyone know of a kit that the flavors come out with a great peppery earthy bite to them. I know I am using the inncorrect terms but I am trying to describe what I am wanting as best I can.

Here are some commercial wines that have the profile I am looking for.
Woodbridge Merlot
Purple Cowboy - Trail Boss Cabernet
Benziger Merlot 2008

To name a few.

I think that the word peppery is usually used to describe a Shiraz.

Steve

Since I am thinking you are saying you like fruit-forwardness in reds less than spiciness, you should stay away from Washington reds. They are very fruit-forward... but very, very nice.

Something from the hotter areas of California or Australia. Do you like Italian reds? The exact area the grapes are from is hard to pinpoint in a kit wine.

IMO, kit reds tend to not taste very varietal-specific anyway; they tend to taste more like red blends. That in mind, just buy a kit that emphasizes spiciness.

I would give your LHBS a call and ask them which kit. I know George at Finevinewines really knows his product well, I am sure most LHBS's do, also.

Fruit forward is not what i want at all. I am looking for something fullbodied, great mouthfeel and a certain burn/dryness in the back of the throat.

Latest posts

Back