Does brewing use the same equipment as wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhunkele

Reaction score
Last night my darling husband was helping me siphon the Blackberry Cab out of the primary when I said, 'now that it's empty we get to start another one!' much to my surprise his suggestion was beer! Now I like beer, don't get me wrong, but I've been focusing all my attention on learning about making wine... I'm thinking the process is going to be 'somewhat' similar, is the equipment? Off to search brew kits, any recommentions for a stout or porter...

Well - i am no micro-brewer - but i think they are some differences. Some equipment can probably be reused, but somethings are different (yeasts) and beer uses barley/malt. Beer you brew, and i think you boil/cook or something, and wine you don't. You will also need a wort chiller.

But like i said - i have not done this - and i know some folks on here do - so see what they have to say.

Thanks Jon!
I found the HomeBrewTalk.com site as well as the 'How To Brew' Link. Should keep me busy for awhile :)

Now I just need to throw my hat over the fence...

If you use beer kit, it's the exact same equipment, altaugh I'd buy a diferrent plastic primary because because beer will leave more of a taste-smell in the plastic

I agree, start with a 'simple' extract kit that DOES NOT have you add a pound of corn sugar to the recipe.

Basically the better extract kits (liek Brewer's Best) will make better beers than the 'can and a pound' kits (such as Coopers).

separate primary bucket...glass secondary if you want to secondary the beer.
and you'll need a good sized stockpot. Ideally something you can comfortably put 2.5 gallons of water into.

Beer is alot faster than wine. Some equipment you will need;
Long neck bottles
Caps
a Capper to add them
different yeast.
some different chemicals
A 5 gallon pot
to name just a few.

Thanks! I did pick up a Brewer's Best English Brown Ale Kit and I have a 5+ gallon stock pot on the way. I did buy a second bucket but with a spigot for bottling. The guy at the LBS said he'd sell me whatever I wanted, but as long as I cleaned and sanitized my primary it could be used for both my wine and beer?!

Plan B - maybe I'll use the second bucket with the spigot as my beer primary (hmm...thinking as I write this, is there a concern about air getting in thru the spigot?);

- a carboy for the secondary, this reduces the sediment in the bottled product, yes? (not real excited about learning that...) Assuming it's as important not to have head space as with wine, I'll need a 5-gal (or a boat load of marbles :)

- then I can use the second bucket with the spigot for bottling.

Latest posts

Back