Do you have a 1 gallon recipe for SP/DB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
Do you have a 1 gallon recipe for SP/DB?

I have only made 6 gal batches and have no idea how to scale it down to a gal batch.

I just racked a melomel into secondary and it is so sinfully awsome. The color and flavor is just out of this world. I just have to make SP/DB out of it.

DSC00462a_zps978d5f7d.jpg
That melomel is to die for.
Thanks;
Tom

Edit: I have decided to attempt to create a 1 gal recipe for the Skeeter Pee we love. I tweaked Lon's recipe in the hopes, that I can create a 1 gal limited edition SP. I'll update when it's done.
Do now: Primary fermeter clean sterile.
12 oz. ReaLemon 100% Juice
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient use 1 tsp. now in primary~ save 1 for later.
1 tsp. Yeast Energizer use 1/2 tsp. now in primary~save 1/2 for later.
1/2 tsp. Tanning
1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
3 1/2 cups white sugar warmed in sterilized pot with 2 cups water. Don't let boil. Warm enough to melt sugar.
Place into primary let cool a bit then add the above ingredients. Check SG and sweeten to about 1.070 for an ABV of 10% alcohol. I added more until I reached SG of 1.096, as I like a higher ABV.
Yeast Slurry~Lees left from racking a batch of wine from primary to secondary fermenter.
I stirred in the yeast slurry and watered to about 1 1/2 gal. This way I'll have enought wine after racking to full a gal carboy. (My must started fermenting in no time at all. Note: I had used 2 packs of Lalvin ICV-D47 in the original wine, which was a honey/mead/melomel.)

check the gravity daily and stir the must. When it gets down to around 1.050, add the other 1 tsp of yeast nutrient, 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer. Stir. After a few days rack into a clean sterilized carboy and let ferment to dry. Check SG for three consecutive days to determine when wine is dry. This maybe SG between 0.998 and 0.990). Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy.
Degas wine stir or use vacuum.
1/8 tsp Kmeta
1/4 tsp. Potassium sorbate
Sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 1/2 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve. You can sweeten to taste. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle.

Last edited:
:u

01/24/13

SG of wine at 1.050.
I tasted it and the lemon flavor ir real strong, so I will not be adding any more lemon juice here.

just add.
1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp. Yeast Energizer.

I corrected the recipe above to read so.

Last edited:
Any update on this?

I am going to follow your receipe as I can only make 1 gallon batch at this current time!

I've done a 1 gallon batch too, I've just racked and cleared just to back sweeten and bottle :)

I do gallon batches from time to time if i start running low on SP and all my 5 gallons are tied up. I convert the original recipe to liters/milliliters and divide by 5. Comes out the same. Let me know if this comes out the same and ill use it instead of doing math. I hate math. Math is the enemy.

I've done a 1 gallon batch too, I've just racked and cleared just to back sweeten and bottle :)

May I ask what you backsweeten with?

White sugar?
I was thinking that more lemon juice would make it too lemony!!!!

:slp

May I ask what you backsweeten with?

White sugar?
I was thinking that more lemon juice would make it too lemony!!!!

:slp

Just use white sugar to sweeten it. More lemon will make it very acidic.

I make 1 and 2 gal. batches all the time. Just divide everything by 5 or 6(whichever gallon recipe you are cutting). I normally just follow the chemical recommendations on the label as far as acid blend, tannin, etc. When making 2 gal. batches I usually change each gal. when racking, ie: add oak, less/more sugar, etc. to try something different.

Just use white sugar to sweeten it. More lemon will make it very acidic.

I know this is all preference, but what is the standard for sweeting skeeter pee for 1 gallon?

I dont want ultra sweet, just moderatetly sweet.
I was figuring starting with 1 cup of sugar maybe 2.

(I only ask, because I have horrible tastebuds for sweetness. I can tell when something is overly sweet. This has caused me to overly sweetening a few batchs of wine!)

SP recipe calls for 6 cups to sweeten 5 gallons. I used 4 cups in 5 gallons and thought it was plenty.

I would just sweeten with 1 cup, stir well, wait a day or two, and then get someone else to taste if you have trouble judging sweetness.

Latest posts

Back