Do I replace the air lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milant

Junior
Reaction score
Ok... Still working on my first batch, so excuse me if the question is dumb. 36 hours in the first fermentation, I woke up to wine in my airlock mixed with water. Do I let it be, or do I remove this bung and airlock with another one??? There still appears to be liquid in the airlock, but I'm not sure how much of it is water and how much is fermenting must.
-m

Just take it off, clean it up and put it back on. You don't want to leave wine or juice in it, it will just attract fruit flies and give other things a chance to grow.

Good call!!! Thank you!!!! It's simple when you think about it.
Anyhow, it is done, but I'm also starting to think that Tim Vandergrift's Big Mouth Bubbler may be just a touch too snug. Gotta love that fermentation. :r

For reds I don't bother with an airlock until the wine is pressed at the end, or near the end of fermentation. I've also found that the waterless, silicon bung air locks to be worth the cost.

you shouldn't use an airlock during and active fermentation plus you should have this in a primary bucket not a carboy. Doing it this will you have a chance of getting a stuck fermentation. Keep in a primary bucket until sg is around 1.010 and either snap down the lid and add an airlock or rack to a carboy.

I gotta ask Julie, what's your thinking behind not using an air-tight container with airlock on the primary fermentation? I understand that CO2 will push out oxygen(air) in open container, but using air locked one has no downsides and this way dust, dirt or flys/nats can't get it.
And no, I'm not using a carboy just a clear plastic larger carboy-ish looking container with a large opening. It came in the kit, but I may get a good ole bucket for the next batch.

during an active fermentation, you need that oxygen to ensure you have a good fermentation going. I leave a lid on loosely, stir daily, when sg is down to 1.010 I snap the lid down and add an airlock and let ferment to dry before racking to a carboy.

LOL, I really hate to tell you this but you are not only going to buy a good ole bucket but you are going to start buying carboys, more buckets, and then more carboys!

I do red/wite wine with airlock during active fermentation in primary bucket. Never had any issue with keeping fermentation going as long as the ambient temperature is warm enough.

I've done a couple kits with and without airlocks on primary recently. I've not noticed any difference in fermentation time.

Most of the kit instructions ask for an airlock. I suspect it's due to the concern of contamination in an unknown environment (as they can't control how clean of an area you will use as your winery).

So for all of you that keep an airlock and tight lid on while fermenting, how do you stir daily, squeeze your fruit bag, etc.?

I always ferment in an open bucket with loose lid. Not worried about a little dust getting in there. Dust will find it's way in anyway. Don't have any pets to worry about pet hair.

I airlock my whites for fermenting. Pull it to stir. A bit of air gets in but as long as it is active the yeast needs that anyway. I guess I just don't like the look of the open hole:h

Reds are open top with a loose lid or canvas to keep the fruit flies out.

I found the "cloth covered" primary odd also. I've brewed strictly kits for several years, airlocked in the primary. An active ferment would sometimes blow the cap off the airlock. And the "blub-blub-blub-blub-blub would make enough noise to keep my wife awake LOL. My first fruit wine (dragon blood) has shown me that its not really necessary. It's also fun to watch the ferment going on, like the thing is ALIVE! :sh Either way works I guess!

Back