RJ Spagnols Do I rack on day 14 or before?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambiying

Reaction score
I'm making my first kit, an Orchard Breezin' Orange Sangria. I started with an SG of 1.053, and after 10 days it is now at .990. It says to move to the carboy on day 14, but my SG is where it should be now(on Monday). So, do I listen to the directions, or to my current SG? I'd rather wait for the weekend, since I'll be off from work and have more time to play with this. Will it hurt the wine to wait until Saturday or will it be okay? Friday would be day 14 with following the actual directions.

Thanks for any help...1st timer and I want to make sure I don't mess up!

If you can snap down your lid with an airlock then waiting will be fine. if you can't lock it down, i would be inclined to rack to a carboy. Some say to have a steady SG reading for 3 days in a row before moving on. Personally I dont like opening my fermenter to take readings when there isn't much activity. Saturday will be 15 days which will be fine assuming you can snap the lid closed

cheers

I like to rack to the carboy a bit early (1.020 to 1.010) so there is enough fermentation going to flush out any O2. Just don't top up into the neck as it will boil over though the airlock.

Latest posts

Back