Do I need Yeast Energizer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I am giving this recipe a go maybe early next week after I get some slurry. The only thing I don't have it Yeast Energizer. Do I need this or can I go without it?

Lon is the expert on this (as you know) but I would expect you do need it because SP is kind of a tough fermentation. I haven't any problems except one slow ferment but I would think the yeasties need the extra kick to keep them going strong.. IMO

Yeast energizer will contain much of the needed nutrients that yeasts need including some nitrogen. You could most likely still have it ferment but having this would greatly help your yeast grab a foothold and take off.

Skeeter pee contains a higher than average acid percentage. Hold off adding all the lemon juice until the yeast is alive and kicking. Having nutrient would be a big help.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I could take the risk but I won't. I was trying to avoid driving 40 miles round trip to get something for $1.90. I am borrowing some from a fellow winemaker.
Bill

If the recipe calls for a nutrient, you should not try to get by without it. If the yeast get starved for nutrients, it can result in H2S - rotten egg smell.

Ask me how I know!!! :se

Kits usually have enough nutrients already added into the must, unless it a Mosti kit, which usually includes a packet of nutrients. Your SP will need the additional nutrients.

A lot of it depends on the yeast you use. Even with a kit, if I use a yeast, which requires lots of nutrients, I go ahead and add some extra.

Back