Dme in port recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
I seen in a few different recipes the use of dme. I read that it adds body and mouthfeel but not really very much taste. Is there different kinds of dme or is all dme the same?
Also if I choose to leave out the dme what would be a good substitute to use in its place to add the body and structure that would be lacking from not using the dme?

My 2013 blueberry port (loosely based on Keller's recipe) used DME. I think it was a great addition to the body and mouthfeel. I'm pretty sure you want a light DME.

Bb, your blueberry port is actually what got me looking at the dme. I starting looking at several other recipes and found them using it also. I found the more beer site that has a tone of different dmes that caught my eye. That just made my decisions even harder lol.

Use extra light dried malt extract, if you use a heavier kind you get a beer taste, the ELDME will not give a taste and does a very good job of adding body to a port style, you can also use banannas to add body. We have made strawberry wine with ELDME to add body, worked very well, dont be put off that its a beer ingredient, so it water and yeast:) WVMJ

What's the procedure for using the dme? Just dump it in with the rest of the ingredients?

I added DME to last month's WOTM Club wine, Blackberry Wine.

So far it just tastes like new wine, but I've got high hopes for it.

I also based my recipe on Boatboy's Blueberry Port.

I just dumped mine in and stirred it with the drill.

I used DME on an Orange-Chocolate port type wine. The lady at the home brew shop thought I had lost my mind. It did seem to add body.

I added DME to last month's WOTM Club wine, Blackberry Wine.

So far it just tastes like new wine, but I've got high hopes for it.

I also based my recipe on Boatboy's Blueberry Port.

I just dumped mine in and stirred it with the drill.

I used DME on an Orange-Chocolate port type wine. The lady at the home brew shop thought I had lost my mind. It did seem to add body.

Just out of curiosity, which dme did you two use and did you notice and flavor profile from it?

What's the procedure for using the dme? Just dump it in with the rest of the ingredients?
DME is a sticky, goopy pain in the rear when it gets wet. From my brewing experience, just the steam from the boil kettle will cause it to clump up as you're pouring it out of the bag, and will rather quickly clog the opening. I've taken to cutting off the entire end of the bag or dumping into a large, open container first.

I imagine it would be easier to incorporate the warmer the liquid is. If you don't have a drill, I think you'd have a real tough time completely mixing it in at room temperature. I think a whisk would be your best bet to break up clumps vs. trying to use a spoon.

I'd definitely go with extra light or light. Both are pure barley. Other types have different specialty grains (various crystal malts, etc.) mixed in that I imagine you don't want in your port. The extra light may lighten the color, so perhaps you might go with light if that is a consideration for you.

Just a couple thoughts from my past usage.

DME is a sticky, goopy pain in the rear when it gets wet. From my brewing experience, just the steam from the boil kettle will cause it to clump up as you're pouring it out of the bag, and will rather quickly clog the opening. I've taken to cutting off the entire end of the bag or dumping into a large, open container first.

I imagine it would be easier to incorporate the warmer the liquid is. If you don't have a drill, I think you'd have a real tough time completely mixing it in at room temperature. I think a whisk would be your best bet to break up clumps vs. trying to use a spoon.

I'd definitely go with extra light or light. Both are pure barley. Other types have different specialty grains (various crystal malts, etc.) mixed in that I imagine you don't want in your port. The extra light may lighten the color, so perhaps you might go with light if that is a consideration for you.

Just a couple thoughts from my past usage.

Good Info thanks. I do have a drill mounted stirrer so I should be ok. I could use some of the water I'd add in to mix the dme then add. Any problem with that idea? And if it turns out I don't add water and just heat some of the must would that work? Also, do you have any experience with the Lme and if so, would that be a good option and easier to use?

With a drill-mounted stirrer, you can probably toss it in with the rest of your ingredients and beat it into submission at room temperature.

I've used LME, and although it would be easier to add, it might not work in this application since it already has water added. You would end up diluting your must. I imagine that would be a fairly big deal in a port. I'd do what I could to avoid using it.

How much dme would you recommend for a 3 gallon batch of port?

I've never made a port, so I'm not sure. I was chiming in with general DME/LME experiences.

I imagine it will depend on the gravity of the must and the ABV you are shooting for. It sounds like others have successfully used DME in the past. Maybe they will share their recipes.

I've never made a port, so I'm not sure. I was chiming in with general DME/LME experiences.

I imagine it will depend on the gravity of the must and the ABV you are shooting for. It sounds like others have successfully used DME in the past. Maybe they will share their recipes.

Ok, thanks for the info. There's just so many options out there and I always seem to over think things. I guess I just like to know everything before jumping in head first!

Ok, thanks for the info. There's just so many options out there and I always seem to over think things. I guess I just like to know everything before jumping in head first!
I do the same. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out!

Just out of curiosity, which dme did you two use and did you notice and flavor profile from it?

I used extra light DME, I did not really notice any flavors from it but the resulting wine had lots of body.

Back