Distilled water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
Im wondering if distilled water stored in a sanitized carboy, will stay usable for a long period of time if treated with sulfite and sorbate.

Crazy question??? well since it has no alcohol in it will t stay usable for as long as a wine does??

scotty said:
Im wondering if distilled water stored in a sanitized carboy, will stay usable for a long period of time if treated with sulfite and sorbate.

Crazy question??? well since it has no alcohol in it will t stay usable for as long as a wine does??
1st Why store it?
2nd Why add sulfite and sorbate? (I see no reason for it)
3rd If they "store" bottled water why not distilled. ( I do not believe they add any preservatives)

Bottled water is typically chlorinated or ozonated to kill off any bacteria. If you treat water with sulfite and sorbate you cannot use it to make wine because the sorbate will inhibit the yeast.

If you just want to store water for a potential disaster do what I do. Buy a couple of cases of cheap bottled water and shove them under the bed in the guest room. They reside with a couple of cases of MRE's.

Alright scotty...whats up...what you gonna use that water for buddy??

If this water was potentially going to be used for wine-making, I have to say that distilled water also has no free O2 and it's been stripped of minerals so it would not be a happy environment for wine yeast.

Waldo said:
Alright scotty...whats up...what you gonna use that water for buddy??

You got it
smiley36.gif
i want to have it handy to dilute spirits waldo.
I just modified one of my rigs to internal electric heat and didnt want to waste the distilled water if it were possible.

I intend to run some vodka soon--- my tap water is excellent for wine making and i wont fool with that.

you sneaky old hillbilly i cant fool you lol lol

no arkansas this year waldo-- everyone backed out-- maybe in a year or so i hope

i have a fancy wine bottle(( muscadine wine)i want to return to you and a couple of other items that we made this year. maybe ill just send the stuff ups.

Im laughing like the devil as i type this Waldo. I wasnt trying to be misleading but this subject is a no no on this forum.

SORRY

Back