Did some bottling...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
Bottled my Welches Sunsplash cocktail this weekend. Wasn't sure how the cocktail type would work as it is 15% juice, but it came out great! I wanted it to be a fruity tasting fun wine served cold,and I put it in beer bottles. Everyone liked it, my wife liked it too much hence it will be called Wacky Wendy Wine.
smiley2.gif
20090326_043147_wine_posts_001_.jpg

Next I bottled my test gallon of banana that I backsweetend.(4 oz to gal.)
This taste great and I will do the same for the other 7 gal.
20090326_043600_wine_posts_007_.jpg

Pics of the "Others"
20090326_043836_wine_posts_003_.jpg

Grapefruit still perking
20090326_044109_wine_posts_004_.jpg

And the "Drug Lab" as my daughter called it !
smiley36.gif
20090326_044345_wine_posts_002_.jpg

That all looks great - I went back and checked out your Welches Sunsplash cocktail recipe - I may have to try that one myself!

Nice setup Smikes,looks like a brand new press you got there. Did you make that yourself??

also curious what recipe you used for your grapefruit. i just started a batch using the below recipe from jack kellers pages. i have a lot of juice left and am going to start a second batch. Lots of BIG fruit on my tree, figure might as well experiment.

GRAPEFRUIT WINE (Dry) (1)
6 large grapefruit
2-1/2 lbs granulated sugar
water to 1 gal
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast starter
Sauterne yeast
Scrub grapefruit clean. Peel one grapefruit thinly, making sure no white pith adheres to peel. Put peel in primary with half the sugar, the crushed Campden tablet, juice from all six grapefruit, yeast nutrient, and enough water to bring up to one gallon, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary with clean cloth. After 12 hours, add pectic enzyme. After additional 12 hours, add yeast. After two days of vigorous fermentation, add remaining sugar, stir well, and allow additional two days vigorous fermentation in primary. Discard peel, transfer to secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days, topping up each time. After fifth racking, bottle and set aside at least 6 months. [Adapted from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North American]

Thanks for the pictures! I love the Going Bananas label.
smiley32.gif
Ya know, if you got rid of that golf equipment, you'd have more space for wine...
smiley2.gif

Hi, Smikes
So now everyone will know how computer illiterate I am . I tried to find your recipe for the welchs sunsplash cocktail ( guess I don't know where to look ). If you are interested in sharing I would sure like to take a look, If someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, BOB

smikes, did you cap those beer bottles? Or cork them? Just curious.
Wine sounded pretty darn good.
smiley36.gif

fivebk said:
Hi, Smikes
So now everyone will know how computer illiterate I am . I tried to find your recipe for the welchs sunsplash cocktail ( guess I don't know where to look ). If you are interested in sharing I would sure like to take a look, If someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, BOB

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6739&KW=Sunsplash&PID=90211#90211

There it is. When you search and know who made it search on that user name and put something like Sunsplash in the search field. Use any forum and any date.

Thanks for the direct A.M.!

The grapefruit recipe was given to me on another forum,and uses concentrate. Wanted to go with real fruit, but this is suppose to be as good at almost half the price.

The lable picture comes from a stay at Senaca Lakeon Lodi Point. It took me over an hour to create the wine glass so it looked symetrical.Used a tool in Illustrater to warp the image,but couldn't get it to look the same on both sides!

Capped those beer bottles and made a lable featuring my wife dressed as a nerd (she dressed up for holloween when she worked in a nursing home!)

And there has to be room for both wine and golf equipment! Although sometimes I think for golf I would do just as well with a broken broomstick!

Smikes,

You might do better at golf with a broken broomstick................... Give it a shot.........
smiley36.gif

BTW I like the hidden wine glass in your sunset label on the banana wine.....

Very subtle, I almost missed it.

Few tips on the Sunsplash recipe:
I ended up using1 pound of golden raisens for body and glad I did. It does have nice feel on tounge.
I also would cut back on the alcohol (sugar).I did not go by hydrometer for adding sugar and ended up at 1.10 sg before adding raisens. Mywife disagrees with me on this. It makes her giggle........

I want to see the giggling Nerd! I hope she doesn't read the forum here or you could be in trouble!

That really is a great looking bottle, wine and label package!

very nice (and wacky) labels
I had to scroll back to "relook" at the banana one due to totally missing the wine glass. Yep there it was, easy to see when you know what you're looking for
smiley14.gif

TinaLouise

Latest posts

Back