Did I just ruin my pumpkin wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOwino

Reaction score
Ok, I have a pumpkin wine that I have already ran through the primary and secondary fermentation. I had had it clarifying for the last couple months and a few weeks ago I decided it was time to sweeten it some and that's where I think I made my mistake. I didn't add any campden tablets when I added the sugar. ( I had added some at the end of fermentation so I thought I was good to go).
So I had decided that I wanted to degas it some, then let it settle and taste it to see how the sweetening went. But as soon as I ran my wine whip for a second it foamed over! I am almost certain that it is fermenting again.

So, will it ruin the taste? What should I do? I was thinking of adding 6 more campden tablets (its a 6 gallon batch ) but I wanted to check here first.

MOwino said:
Ok, I have a pumpkin wine that I have already ran through the primary and secondary fermentation. I had had it clarifying for the last couple months and a few weeks ago I decided it was time to sweeten it some and that's where I think I made my mistake. I didn't add any campden tablets when I added the sugar. ( I had added some at the end of fermentation so I thought I was good to go).
So I had decided that I wanted to degas it some, then let it settle and taste it to see how the sweetening went. But as soon as I ran my wine whip for a second it foamed over! I am almost certain that it is fermenting again.

So, will it ruin the taste? What should I do? I was thinking of adding 6 more campden tablets (its a 6 gallon batch ) but I wanted to check here first.

If it is fermenting again, let it run its course.

Once it is finished, add your campden tablets and potassium sorbate. Need to add both.

Then you can a

novalou said:
If it is fermenting again, let it run its course.

Once it is finished, add your campden tablets and potassium sorbate. Need to add both.

Then you can a

Then you can backsweeten.

yep campden won't stop it from re-fermenting.... it only stops if from oxidizing (it works as a preservative)... you need Potassium Sorbate to stabilize it from the yeast restarting.

Sorbate keeps the yeast from reproducing so once they all die there is no more yeast to eat the new sugars.

The wine shouldn't be ruined but may be higher in Alc than you planned... and may need more aging to let the harshness mellow out :d

Thanks guys and gals, I knew you would know what to do. You're all a lifesaver!

Latest posts

Back