Degassing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest is probably a vacuum pump, as long as you have a glass carboy. (I haven't used a vacuum pump, so not certain.)

Cheapest is the big stirring spoon that you should have. I find moving the paddle from side-to-side more effective than round-and-round. Still takes a fair length of time.

Steve

I do like cpfan when I use the stirring spoon to degas - back and forth rather than round and round. Also make sure the temperature of the wine is around 75*F when you degas since the CO2 comes out a lot easier when it's warm.

Question, those who have the all-in-one-pump do you Degas (splashing) the wine once or twice without verifying if its needed, since there is no air contact what harm could it do.

When you degas with a vacuum pump, whether it be the all-in-one or a medical vacuum pump, the receiving carboy has the vacuum pressure in it thats being displaced as the wine is racked into it. The "dirty" carboy breathes so both carboys dont implode.

When racking with a vacuum pump, generally theres a racking cane through a double-drilled bung or carboy cap, pulling from the bottom of the sending carboy - the other hole serves as a breather - and feeding the wine into the bottom of the receiving carboy via another racking cane through double-drilled bung or carboy cap. The second racking cane is to minimize oxidation, and the hose running to the overflow container is hooked up to the top of the receiving carboy. So if you splash racked with a vacuum pump, you'd remove the 2nd racking can in the receiving carboy, but probably still be exposing the wine to the oxygen, though in lower amounts.

But to degas with a vacuum pump, you just hook up a hose to the (ideally through a decent sized - 3 to 5gal - overflow container, dont wanna get the pump wet) vacuum and keep your hand on the regulator, to monitor the vacuum pressure.

When you start, you wanna keep the pressure low, because theres generally lots of foam & then as you get farther along, you can start to crank it up but dont go much over 18-20", or you *could* crack/implode the carboy (depending on imperfections, etc)

Last edited:
what does the whip look like or is it just like a big spoon?

There's some models that look kinda like Captain Hook's hook, others are just a, maybe 1ft-long?, piece of plastic with a slight bend in it so it swirls around when you spin it.

Theres also things like the "mix-stir" which is a long rod with hole-punched.. propellers, for lack of a better term, on the end... they pivot out when you spin it, with a drill...

When you degas with a vacuum pump, whether it be the all-in-one or a medical vacuum pump, the receiving carboy has air in it thats being displaced as the wine is racked into it. It's the "dirty" carboy that is under vacuum pressure.

So if you splash racked with a vacuum pump, you'd still be exposing the wine to the oxygen.

I don't think that's quite right. The receiving carboy is the one that has a vacuum in it. At least that's how the all-in-one works. As to whether there is still air in it that is being displaced by the wine, that's probably true as it is certainly not a perfect vacuum.

I don't think that's quite right. The receiving carboy is the one that has a vacuum in it. At least that's how the all-in-one works. As to whether there is still air in it that is being displaced by the wine, that's probably true as it is certainly not a perfect vacuum.

Yes - Ken you are correct -what little air that is actually left in the carboy (under vacuum ) is typically displaced by the release of CO2 due to the racking process.

The foam that Deezil is talking about is the CO2 being pulled out of the wine -

Last edited:
Easiest is to let nature and time do it for you

If only this actually worked. It works in a barrel, but not in a carboy. At least that's my belief.

I have The Whip. You attach it to a drill and have fun!!!

The Whip is a product from Fermtech. It's the one Fermtech product that I have used that I was not happy with. Prefer the Mix-Stir (get the metal one), or the Fizz-X. I have used the Fizz-X forever.
http://www.fermtech.ca/wine degassing/whip.html

Steve

Guess you're right, its been a while since ive had mine out :)
Sorry - i've been on vacation for the first time in several years so the brains only been working about half the time, and it has had gas the other half the time

'Cause you gotta pull through the receiving carboy.. So you're creating a vacuum on the receiving carboy & the sending carboy breathes so you dont implode everything.. Thanks for keeping me on track :)

Are there any videos out there where i can see manuel degassing with a whip or drill? how long does degassing take?

Here ya go...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFrlL17CI4[/ame]

You can get one for under $10 at any LHBS.

Latest posts

Back