Degas question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
I'm going to make some kind of stir stick to attach to my drill for degassing, I've had enough of hand stirring. With this can I degas at one setting?

Be careful as to not mix in new air. Spin one way and immediately reverse.

Alternative buy a vacuum pump.

Splash rack at end of fermentation.

Stir often during fermentation.

Be sure wine is 70-75 for best results.

I'm going to make some kind of stir stick to attach to my drill for degassing, I've had enough of hand stirring. With this can I degas at one setting?

You should be able to find a low cost stirrer or whip at your local brew store. Alternatively, they're available at eBay and Amazon.

Tony P.

Even with the drill mounted degassing stick it is quite common that you will have to degas over a period of a few days. Some people I have talked to have said they have gone into "weeks" (makes me wonder if their wine was too cold, etc).
The stir stick is definitely less taxing than 15 minutes of hand stirring for days on end, it just knocks out the revolutions in less time. Before I had my All-in-One Wine Pump it would take me 3-4 days with the drill mounted stick, and this wine was aged for a minimum of 6 months from the point of dryness before I attempted to degas. Anymore my wines are usually aged for 12 months and they have degassed on their own.
Before you make one compare to the price of a commercial one, you may find it easier just to buy one....but then again you may be mechanically inclined (I am not, to an extent).

Back