Crystals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
I have just completed my second racking of my verdelho red wine, and notice all round the inside of the stainless barrel, including the lid are crystals. Is this normal?

Also the wine is not as fruity as it was, ie it is becoming a little sharp?

I have just completed my second racking of my verdelho red wine, and notice all round the inside of the stainless barrel, including the lid are crystals. Is this normal?

Also the wine is not as fruity as it was, ie it is becoming a little sharp?

Those are “wine diamonds”, formed as tartaric acid comes out of solution. I wouldn’t necessarily associate the appearance of them with a loss of fruitiness, nor an increase in perceived acidity. Your wine is very young and undergoing chemical changes as it ages, tastes can vary greatly at this time, but with age, it’ll settle in.

Yep, you are seeing potassium bitartrate crystals forming... totally normal. Have you put your wine (intentionally) though MLF? That usually leads to less fruit but also less acidity (sharpness). Less fruit and more sharpness could be a sign of oxidation. Keeping headspace down and sulfites up should prevent or minimize that, especially in a SS barrel.

Yep, you are seeing potassium bitartrate crystals forming... totally normal. Have you put your wine (intentionally) though MLF? That usually leads to less fruit but also less acidity (sharpness). Less fruit and more sharpness could be a sign of oxidation. Keeping headspace down and sulfites up should prevent or minimize that, especially in a SS barrel.

MLF > Not intentionally, and not as far as I am aware.

My stainless tank has a floating lid, with an air tube seal around the edge which you blow up, to seal the wine against air. I reckon it has near to zero head space for air in that tank once the lid is on.

After Racking I added more k-meta, and am contemplating adding some toasted oak chips, which worked well in another batch of Red which was fermenting when I added it. The fermentation is over in this wine but I like the flavor added to my other batch.

To oak or not to oak that is a question I am pondering now?

Back