CRANBERRY BLEND WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Well, I emptied out the primaries today, put the Vintners Harvest Blackberry/Red Grape wine into the carboy with oak...think it's going to be good...racked the Vintners Harvest Black Currant/Red Grape off the oak...and it was very nice indeed....So, those two are coming along nicely.

Washed up a few one gallon jugs and am about to venture into the gallon jug winemaking venture.

I thawed out the Old Orchard Cranberry/blend juice I got at the store and mixed up 2 1/2 gallons of must, added a bottle of WinExpert red grape concentrate to it as well...Then...I went through my yeasts and can't decide on which to use...

I am leaning toward a Lalvin Montpelier KIV-1116..says it's good for musts low in nutrients...do you all think this would be a good choice...or maybe a Red Star Pasteur Red??? Too many yeast to choose from...???

Northern: I just noticed this, and will chime in here. I make many one gal batches. When I made some cranberry wine last year I used 1116. This was recommended by my local brew shop, and I was successful. I did use real cranberries and not juice. I was thinking about using some juice and trying another batch. Let me know how this turns out. jh

Thanks Kutya....I did use the Lalvin K1-V1116, it looks like the yeast is starting to work this morning.....Did you use your juicer to extract the juice from the Cranberries???

I searched many places for info on making Cranberry Wine...Got a bunch of neat ideas...going to try more for this coming Thanksgiving and Christmas wines and beverages.

Found one Site where folks made some Cranberry/Apple Cider...they used Cranberry/Apple juices in the bottles, then brought the S.G. to 1070 using cans of frozen apple concentrates and Cran/Apple..... They used K1B-1122 Narbonne yeast, others used Red Star Côte des Blancs, yet others used an ale yeast...that is a definite must-do for me.

Our Apple Cider from last year was a hit, it has been rationed right from the start.An apple Cider is next up for the next empty 6 gallon carboy, got all the fixin's ready to go....then will do another soon after...it should be ready for this summer, it was good last summer, but wasn't enough of it...and it is even better now.

Was also think in of making another 3 gallon batch of Cranberry using the Welch's products, they are Cranberry and white grape [Niagara] blend, might even **sparkle** that batch....so this coming Holidays will have much to celbrate...new wines and beverages.Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
Our Apple Cider from last year was a hit, it has been rationed right from the start.An apple Cider is next up for the next empty 6 gallon carboy, got all the fixin's ready to go....then will do another soon after...it should be ready for this summer, it was good last summer, but wasn't enough of it...and it is even better now.

Was also think in of making another 3 gallon batch of Cranberry using the Welch's products, they are Cranberry and white grape [Niagara] blend, might even **sparkle** that batch....so this coming Holidays will have much to celbrate...new wines and beverages.

I've only done the Ocean Spray Whole berry thing - and it was GOOD! Got another 6 gallon batch in the wings. And I just picked up a 3 galloncarboy at the same time I got a can of the Vitners Cranberry - enough to make 3 gallons! So I wuld be interested in what you do with Welches cranberry.

If I may ask, what was your recipe for the Apple Cide?

Linda

linda0210 said:

QUOTE]
So I would be interested in what you do with Welches cranberry.

For the Welch's Cranberry Wine...Actually I used Old Orchard...Old Orchard has apple juice in it, the Welch's is blended with white grape juice....so I think there would be a bit difference in the taste...I am going to find out later.

CRANBERRY/APPLE BLEND WINE

-6 CANS OLD ORCHARD FROZEN CRANBERRY [100% JUICES-CRANBERRY/APPLE/ARONIA]

-1 500 mil BOTTLE WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE

-2 tsp LIQUID TANNIN

-2 tsp ACID BLEND [being as there was so much apple juice in the blend the acid wasn't too high]

-3 CAMPDEN TABLETS

-3 1/2# SUGAR [dissolved in small amount of water]

WATER TO BRING S.G. TO 1092 AND VOLUME TO NEAR 3 GALLONS

NEXT DAY:

-2 tsp PEPTIC ENZYME

wait one hour

-2 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT

-1 1/2 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER

-1 PACKAGE MONTPELIER YEAST

Hope it turns out...the must tasted great and it is bubbling already today and smells good...

If I may ask, what was your recipe for the Apple Cider?

Linda

This was an experiment, and we were really happy with the result. I had read on the Net many different ways of making it and just kind of 'played it by ear' and got lucky.

APPLE CIDER [CARBONATED]

-6 GALLONS STORE BOUGHT APPLE JUICE/CIDER [STORE BRAND [on sale]came with ascorbic acid/vit C as a preservative]

-4 CANS FROZEN APPLE JUICE CONCENTRATE [I wanted to bring the S.G. up to 1060-65 with just apple concentrate, but ran out so added some sugar...*next time will have more frozen concentrate on hand]

-4 CUPS SUGAR [YES, CUPS NOT POUNDS dissolved in small amount of juice]

- 6 CAMPDEN TABLETS

-3 tsp ACID BLEND

-2 tsp LIQUID TANNIN

*S.G. 1065 STIR AND COVER LIGHTLY

NEXT DAY:

-3 tsp PEPTIC ENZYME

-3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER

-6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT

-2 PACKAGES MUNTON'S ALE YEAST [I had divided the must into 2 primaries as I didn't know how much it would foam]

Went down to S.G. 1.000 using that yeast in just a few days and stayed there...

*When wine cleared in about 2 months from the beginning I added to the bottling bucket:

-1 tsp ASCORBIC ACID [to prevent oxidation]

-3/4 cup CORN SUGAR DISSOLVED IN SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER....

*Stir while bottling in beer bottles, apply crown caps and wait...taste occasionally while waiting, gets a nice 'head' on it and many bubbles....

smiley4.gif
* EDIT....AT THE END OF FERMENTAION...DO NOT...ADD ANY SULFITES..AND...RINSE SULFITE OFF ALL EQUIPMENT...BOTTLING BUKCET, HOSES, FILLER, BOTTLES, ETC....YOU DO NOT WANT TO HINDER THE REFERMENATION OF CARBONATION IN THE BOTTLES.</font>Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern: I didn't have my juicer at that time, so I just used the ole squeeze the bag trick..

Latest posts

Back