Crab Apple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redderthebetter

Reaction score
I am starting a crabapple with 5 lb fresh fruit. The applesare yellow and mostare plum sized and very hard. They have a very nice flowery smell to them. My garage has never smelled so good. I have no press and intended cover the end of a 2X4 with plastic and pulverize. Last night I cut them in two and scooped out the seeds, then soaked them in water with campden. 24 hours later they are still very stiff. I'm thinking of going to the food processer. Does anyone think that might be a better alternative? I am concerned with the amount of pectin I will get with processed apple. I will treat it with enzyme, but realizeI may not get it well enough. Champagne yeast was recommended for this wine.

Any thoughts out there?

I also have 4 pounds of small yellow crabapples in my freezer. They are vacuum sealed and will be a winter project.

Why don't you freeze these also? When they thaw out, they will be all mushy and easy to work with then. Have you tasted them to make sure they aren't too astringent? If they make your mouth pucker like a lemon, they will be too strong alone and you may need to revise the recipe. If they are good and sweet, no problem. Good luck.

You know, you are right. I'm not sure what my hurry is with these. I have a kit going to secondary tonight and my first try at beer is starting to rock the airlock. I'm going to put them in the freezer. I just bit into one. VERY TART. What would you suggest to modify the recipe?

Here's a recipe from Jack Keller's site for Crabapple wine. Being so tart, I would mix some other varieties with them two to one(others to crabapple). If you use all 5 pounds, use a couple gallons of apple juice-no additives, pasteurized OK and make a 3 gallon batch. If you want control of the varieties, buy at least two different kinds of semi-tart apples and mix with the crabapples. Check for total acidity if you have the ability, if not mix the final blend to get a drinkable apple juice to start with- if your mouth still thinks it bit a lemon, mix in some more apples. Some of the best apple ciders are made by mixing some crabapples in. Good luck and have fun doing it.
smiley4.gif

Another approach redd if you want to keep it all crab apple is to use some calcium carbonate. For 4 lbs/Gallon I would not use more than 1/4 oz to begin with then taste and add more if needed to get where you want to be.
I would have to side with appleman though. I believe his approach would produce the better wine

Latest posts

Back