Corks, and other bottle stoppers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going through my photos and found the pictures I took when you asked the question, but never posted. Anyway, here’s what the look like.
I've had that happen a dozen or so times out of over 1,700 Nomacorcs I've used. I figure it's the cork catching on the bottle if the bottle isn't lined up correctly.

I've had that happen a dozen or so times out of over 1,700 Nomacorcs I've used. I figure it's the cork catching on the bottle if the bottle isn't lined up correctly.
I agree with this. My last batch I had to toss 1 cork out of about 100 bottles. If it gets worse, I'll have to look at the corker to see if something needs fixed.

I agree with this. My last batch I had to toss 1 cork out of about 100 bottles. If it gets worse, I'll have to look at the corker to see if something needs fixed.
The cork having a crick in it didn't have any impact. I put the bottles in the rack and they were fine when opened.

I see. The cork I'm talking about would not go in. Just kind of smashed so was unusable. I assumed I didn't have the bottle lined up right but could mean a corker problem?
If all other corks went in fine, then it appears to be alignment of the cork.

I had a few corks go in weird. What I discovered was that I used dried corks. Grabbed corks out of the bag and put in corker. Now, I usually keep the corks floating in the solution (K-Meta) until I just put them in the corker. I also spray my floor Corker (RED) with k-meta when corking to keep it lubricated and "clean". I assume that is good enough protection. I have not had a cork mess up since.

I had a few corks go in weird. What I discovered was that I used dried corks. Grabbed corks out of the bag and put in corker. Now, I usually keep the corks floating in the solution (K-Meta) until I just put them in the corker. I also spray my floor Corker (RED) with k-meta when corking to keep it lubricated and "clean". I assume that is good enough protection. I have not had a cork mess up since.
Doesn't a meta solution create rust on any of the moving parts.

Back