corking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Can you successfully cork screw cap bottles with regular #9 corks (22mm) or do you need to go up a notch and use 23mm corks?

Anybody done this? 'cause I just scored 10 cases of new clear bottles that are screw cap type but I want to cork. The capsules will cover nicely. They were $5 a case and the local wine shop has several pallets of them.

They are in San Luis Obispo, Ca if anyones close.

rrawhide

We occasionally cork a screw top bottle with #8 X 1¾" corks. The bottles we do get have a nice heavy rim where the threads are so we
feel that they are strong enough to take a cork and they have held
up...so far.

I have not been lucky finding a package of screw caps to fit the bottles we acquire....

I've tried visiting the local watering holes and asked the bartenders if they could throw all the caps that they take off in a bag during the night and then I could go thru them, run them thru the dishwahser or hot water and sanitize them,but there are so many shift changes that I have had no luck there. And there are many different sizes also......

I have used some screw top bottle and put Glad "Press and Seal Freezer"
under the cap. It makes a good seal
Danny

I would definately use the #8 corks if you do cork the. Be very careful even then as the neck may break off when uncorking. I have experienced it.

I second Waldo's comments. I have also had one break off during uncorking. I have even heard of one guy suffering a severe hand laceration when one broke on him. In your area rrawhide I bet you could get bottles for about 6 dollars with normal tops by the case from a vineyard. Sometimes they have some cases left after bottling runs and get rid of them so all their bottles are the same for a run.

I can get used bottles from a winery at $6.50/case sorted....but the FREE ones from friends are the best!!!!! Then I sort....clean the one I can use and dispose the real odd-ball ones. My corker won't do flange tops, the tall hock bottles won't fit in the racks, nor will the larger bottles..So, I guess I do get a little fussy.

Latest posts

Back