Cork size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The short answer is that 44mm x 24mm is a #9 cork.

The longer answer is that "#9" is more of a range than a specification, meaning that while 24 mm appears to be the most common diameter, there is variation, e.g., some are 15/16" inch, which is 23.8mm. The same goes for length, e.g., 1.75" is 44.45mm, and I've seen variation in length.

Generally speaking, if it's a decent quality cork, the vendor's classification (#8, #9, etc.) should be trustworthy. If unsure, type "mm to inch" into a browser and use a calculator to double-check the sizes. If it's close to 44.5x24, then it's good.

I posted the question because I’ve noticed Label Peelers started using mm to describe their corks. I also used a calculator to double check and came up with the same numbers as you. Thanks
Glad to help!

It's a good idea to pay attention to our corks, although what to use depends on what we're making. Folks making SP, DB, and other very quick drinking wines don't have to really think about it. For wines used up within a year, any #8 or #9 should be fine.

Potential longevity beyond 2 years where (IME) the cork starts to matter.

Glad to help!

It's a good idea to pay attention to our corks, although what to use depends on what we're making. Folks making SP, DB, and other very quick drinking wines don't have to really think about it. For wines used up within a year, any #8 or #9 should be fine.

Potential longevity beyond 2 years where (IME) the cork starts to matter.
I use 1.75 inch or 2 inch long corks natural corks when I bottle premium wines at the winery or Diam 20 or 40 corks. Cabernet or anything with extremely long term aging potential.

I use 1.75 inch or 2 inch long corks natural corks when I bottle premium wines at the winery or Diam 20 or 40 corks. Cabernet or anything with extremely long term aging potential.
That makes sense.

Something we should all consider: how long will we realistically keep a given wine?

A lot of folks drink their wines within 2 years, so as I said above, using a lesser cork makes sense. For those who drink theirs within 5 years, it makes sense to buy corks appropriate to that, at least from a financial POV.

I'm realistic about my consumption. I make a wide variety of varietals and styles, with a fair amount intended for consumption within 2 years. My heaviest reds will probably be consumed within 6 years. At most 5% of my production will be around longer than that.

So I use Nomacorc Select 900 1.5" #9 corks, which are rated for 5 years. I'm leaning towards recorking the few bottles that make it to the 6 year mark. My heavy reds are bottled at the 12-15 month mark, so a 6 yo wine has a 5 yo cork.

However, last fall I purchased a 1,000 count bag of Select 900 1.75" corks, which will last me 2 seasons. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Select 500 (higher grade) were the same price. If I had realized that, I'd have purchased them instead. For most of my wines I don't need a higher grade, but if they're the same price, why not?

Back