Copper Tun” Heating Pad for Fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesilly

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used the Copper Tun Heating Pad (http://www.eckraus.com/heating-pad-fermentation.html) in there wine making. I do my wine in my basement and without turning the heat up it is only about 16C or about 61F. Seems to be a waste to turn the heat up in the whole basement just to keep the wine at the correct temperature. Any comments about this heating pad good or bad may help with my decision to start using one would help. Thanks

If you read the onsite reviews and believe them, several people state that it gets too hot. I can believe this as it does not appear to have any controls. It looks like it should work providing you monitor your wine periodically and don't let it run away. One should say hello to their wine on a daily basis anyway.

Terry

Winesilly, I have used this and another heating pad for a few years. In face, I have 4 of them. Basement temps, once we return to MI in the spring are very similar. However, I connect the pad(s) to a timer of some sort. The mechanical timers with 1/2 hour increments seems to do the job. It just takes some adjustment on your part to zero in with the time ON requirements. That and a large tower, blanket, etc wrapped around the fermenter or carboy helps.

I have used the brew belts and up until the other day they were perfect. Attach them and forget about them for this time of year (63-66 degrees in my house). I just had one melt/burn which has me concerned although that belt was a little compromised by the design of it. I am ordering a different kind this time around

I searched and read a lot about the heating pad options. I think you would have to use a timer and others talked about certain pads that were "always on". That seemed important and some went as far as putting a fish tank thermometer in the fermenter to monitor the temp.

I am going with the belt

I tried the Copper Tun, but it didn't work for me. It's about 56 degrees in my basement and I tried an experiment with just water in my primary fermentation bucket and the Copper tun underneath. It wouldn't get any warmer than 68 degrees. Which is probably OK but I wanted to get in the 72 - 75 degree range. So I bought the Fermwrap heater which worked much better for me. Not hot to the touch, but wraps around the primary and heats things evenly. I also got a temp controller to keep in the temp range I wanted. This worked out much better for me. My first wine kit ever and the temps stayed right in the 72 - 75 degree range during primary fermentation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O92WS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (Fermwrap)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (Temp controller)

HTH,
Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Copper Tun, but it didn't work for me. It's about 56 degrees in my basement and I tried an experiment with just water in my primary fermentation bucket and the Copper tun underneath. It wouldn't get any warmer than 68 degrees. Which is probably OK but I wanted to get in the 72 - 75 degree range. So I bought the Fermwrap heater which worked much better for me. Not hot to the touch, but wraps around the primary and heats things evenly. I also got a temp controller to keep in the temp range I wanted. This worked out much better for me. My first wine kit ever and the temps stayed right in the 72 - 75 degree range during primary fermentation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O92WS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (Fermwrap)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (Temp controller)

HTH,
Charlie

Charlie, do you put the temp controller inside the bucket and if so how did you feed the cord through the bucket and/or lid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie, do you put the temp controller inside the bucket and if so how did you feed the cord through the bucket and/or lid?

At first I taped the temp probe to the outside of the bucket with electrical tape. That kinda worked but the outside of the bucket was reading about 3-4 degrees cooler than the inside. Inspired by the Stopper Thermowell, I thought I'd try an experiment. I had a pc. of 3/8 tubing that is used for connecting sink faucets. I crushed the end of it and soldered it (with lead free solder of course) to make it liquid tight. I had a rubber grommet from another project just like the one for the airlock so I drilled a 1/2" hole in my lid and put the grommet in. The tubing fit perfectly. I've attached some pictures to show you what I mean.

20150209_143710.jpg

20150209_143848.jpg

20150209_143929.jpg

Last edited:
And when I went into my carboy I used one of those orange carboy caps. The 3/8 tube fit in the middle opening but I had to cut off the bottom of the airlock so it would fit on the outside of the other opening in the cap.

20150209_152816.jpg

Back