Converted another Wine Making Friend - But need Help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I've converted another wine making buddy, he is now prepared to start testing and adjusting his wines...
He was given a lot of vague or possibly bad advice as a new wine maker, and sent off with 45 gallons of fresh juice and 3 carboys....some of these LHBS should really try to make sure new wine makers are prepared and understand a few basics, this guy spent some big bucks!
We made a big step, I convinced him to add meta to stabilize his wine.
Any way, he never used a hydrometer, and obviously doesn't know what his ABV is, is there any way to find out what the Alcohol content of his finished wine is, other than the very unreliable vinometer?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Heat a measured sample of your wine to 150 degrees and hold it there for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, measure your sample. the difference in volume is a close apporaximation of the amount of alcohol in your wine.

Take {amount of volume reduced} and divide by {starting volume} to get percentage.

There is the boil off method. I have never tried it as you give up a pint or so of your wine when using it. The directions for it are on here some place and I think at Luc's site. Basically you take gravity reading, boil the alcohol out of it and get another gravity reading. A little math and it gives you the abv. I'll look around and see if I can find out how and get back to you if I find it. Arne.
Looks like John beat me to it. Guess it isn't s.g. it is volume. A.

Back