Controlling temp of a yeast starter bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
First of all i would like to say that I'm a gizmo nut. I have a collection of small appliances that folks make jokes about. I had to install 2 cabinets in a hall to fit them and recently put a book case in the living area to free up space on a bookshelf in the hall to fit more gizmo's

NOW THAT I HAVE CONFESSED. I NEED SOME INPUT ON ANOTHER SIMILAR SUBJECT. Wine related though.
smiley1.gif

I want to buy or make some sort of item to control the temperature of my starter bottle. Buying is simpler. I only spend outlandish amounts of money on my motorcycles otherwise i watch every cent
smiley5.gif

I tried using a counter top electric oven but the differential is too great and the temp runs from 60F to a bit over 100F when on the lowest setting.

Ive been drooling over hot plates with stirring ability but none of the adds seem to address the temp ranges and how well they maintain a chosen temperature

If anyone can help me with any thoughts, advice or information i would love to hear them/it

smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
Edited by: scotty

Not sure why you need to heat your yeast starter. It should be ambient temperature and preferably the same temperature as the must you are pitching it into for the best results.

You should be able to get hot water from the tap for the initial re-hydration of the yeast. Unless you are making a true starter with some fruit juice or sugar for the yeast to start consuming you need to pitch the yeast to the must within15-30 minutesof re-hydrating.

i use Jacks method of making a starter bottle. I find it more interesting and presumably a way of pitching more yeast .

Scotty, I use a starter as well, and I found that just using warm tap water works really well.I mix 1 cup of must with 1 cup of pretty (not boiling) warm water. I let this sit about 2-3 hours and pour it in. I also live in a pretty cold climate, and have never had a problem with this...

kutya said:
Scotty, I use a starter as well, and I found that just using warm tap water works really well.I mix 1 cup of must with 1 cup of pretty (not boiling) warm water. I let this sit about 2-3 hours and pour it in. I also live in a pretty cold climate, and have never had a problem with this...

I see what you mean. I'm just really looking for another toy. I have a50 ml.buret and stand on my un necessary item list also.

Your method is the most sensable one.

I have been fooling with jack kellars method
of adding to the starter every 4 hours.Edited by: scotty

That is the method to use when trying to restart a stuck fermentation. All that is required is the normal rehydrating method on the yeast packet. Actually, you can usually just sprinkle the yeast on top the must and be fine.

SCOTTY
MAKE IT SMIPLE MAKE CARD BORD BOX BIG ENOUGH TO FIT
OVER CARBOY SET YEAST STARTER IN SIDE BOX WITH CARBOY
PUT LOW WATT LIGHT BULD IN SIDE. TEMP WILL STAY PRETTY
EVEN.
R.E.T.

R.E.T. said:
SCOTTY
MAKE IT SMIPLE MAKE CARD BORD BOX BIG ENOUGH TO FIT
OVER CARBOY SET YEAST STARTER IN SIDE BOX WITH CARBOY
PUT LOW WATT LIGHT BULD IN SIDE. TEMP WILL STAY PRETTY
EVEN.
R.E.T.
I believe thats the ticket basicly. I want a box with a door. Probably plywood. Then ill wire a bulb socket into it. I love gadjets.

jsmahoney said:
I'm confused?!
smiley5.gif
Im causing the confusion because of my curiosity
I'm wanting to do something that is not necessart just to have done it. I want a small cabinet that will hold temp of about 75 degrees and use it for yeast starter bottles. The starter bottles are another thing that is not necessary. This is a hobby and i intend to enjoy it to the fullest.

I had to build full wave off center fed antennas for the same reason.
compulsive behavior and i dont enjoy drinking except just to tase the end result.

Latest posts

Back