Comment on Blackberry Color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, I was under the impression it would lighten.

Best Regards,
Lawrence

It will darken for sure..I have made gallons and gallons of blackberry, just bottled another 25 bottles of port yesterday, it will get dark....hope you saved back some for an fpak, later if needed.
nice berries you had there.

The Amish community has a wonderful blackberry farm nearby. I appreciate the feedback!
Lawrence

jamesngalveston said:
It will darken for sure..I have made gallons and gallons of blackberry, just bottled another 25 bottles of port yesterday, it will get dark....hope you saved back some for an fpak, later if needed.
nice berries you had there.

I did not save anything for a Fpak unfortunately. Last year I just back sweetened with corn sugar. Was that dangerous?

Let me just add that my recipe started with 50 pounds of cane sugar and 125 pounds

those look like 5 gallon carboys....how much water did you add when you started....125 lbs of blackberrys should not give you 20 gallons of wine without the addition of water...and if you added water , you will probably need too augment the taste somewhat

jamesngalveston said:
those look like 5 gallon carboys....how much water did you add when you started....125 lbs of blackberrys should not give you 20 gallons of wine without the addition of water...and if you added water , you will probably need too augment the taste somewhat

Yes, they are 5 gallon carboys and I added 80 pints of water. What is the viscosity of your wine without adding water?

viscosity i have not measured. my first batch of blackberry i used 4 lbs per gallon i could not taste the blackberry, but it was good.
2nd batch i used 8 lbs, still no blackberry taste. I had to add fpak to get the taste.
after that i started crushing and used pure juice...I love my blackberry now.
my last batch was a 6 gallon from 100lbs of juiced berries and it is excellent.

You guys eat to many jalapeños in Texas (joke). I appreciate the advice. You must not pay retail for your blackberries since that calculates to some gold in dem bottles.

your correct lawstrin, i had about 40 acres of them this year..
if i had to buy them I would do exactly as you did...then I would add a black berry syrup at the end..
I think your wine will be excellent, if it does not have the black berry taste then you can make a blackberry simple syrup if you plan to back sweeten any.

I understand 1 acre of cultivated blackberries brings $10-20k. Can you adopt me, if this railroad thing I do doesn't work out????? Thank you again partner!

Lawrence

lol...these were wild, I usually pick 100 to 200 lbs, this year we had a huge crop and we picked 400 are better..
I offered black berries to anyone for free,all they could pick...had not one single taker.

I appreciate that downwards and James I think I moving you into that dos Equis man category,,, stay thirsty my friends!

Has something to do with the amount of solids in suspension and light reflecting off those solids to make it appear lighter.. Then as it clears, less solids, it becomes darker / closer to its truer color..

This is also memorable in threads where a strawberry wine starts out red/pink and ends up straw-colored..

Although I think part of that is a lack of color-stabilizing properties in certain fruit wines, without some additives.. (Not the case here; just a tidbit)

Deezil, this is a picture of this years Strawberry wine before the lees settled exactly as you described.

image-1358139028.jpg

Latest posts

Back