Cellar Craft Clearing Done....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaggz

Taking Baby Steps
Reaction score
So my very first kit (CC Syrah) that I started on Jan 3rd is done clarifying (clearing)...at least by the directions guidelines anyhow & it appears quite "clear". I am planning on racking again tomorrow into a carboy and allowing it to bulk age for 3 or 4 months...is it necessary to add additional k-meta for this short of time for aging?

OR....should I let it just sit as is, with the oak cubes in place until I am ready to filter & bottle? Is there any risk in leaving it as is until then?

Thanks in advance!

Jake~

I was ready to answer when I read your first paragraph, but then I read the second one and my answer changed. First, I take it you added k-meta prior to clearing. If so you should be fine for 3-4 months. (If it were a white, I would have said 3 only, not 3-4.)

On your second paragraph, you're planning to leave oak cubes in place for 3-4 months. I don't know how much you've added, but I'd be very careful about leaving oak in for even a fraction of that time. Taste your wine periodically and remove the cubes when you're satisfied. Also, when you're ready to bottle add 1/4 tsp of k-meta.

If you are going to bottle after the 3 to 4 months and not finish drinking the wine over the following several months, I would add 1/8 teaspoon a couple days before you bottle. You will have some additional sediment after 3 or 4 months, so you should rack the wine at the end of that time, anyway. You can add the KMETA when you rack. Just let it set a couple days before you start bottling, so the KMETA is totally dispersed.

You could get by without adding it, but that is a nice little SO2 cushion, in case you take awhile to finish drinking all the wine.

The oak cubes will have given up all their oaking before 3 or 4 months is ended. However, as was mentioned, do a taste test every 3 weeks or so, just to make sure you don't over do it with the oak. Remove the cubes if needed.

Latest posts

Back