CLEANING BOTTLES?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be careful to use unscented oxyclean or sun (generic). And also be aware if you forget about those bottles soaking for too long you will be let with a residue on and inside your bottles. Not exactly how long is too long. Just know that I've had to throw out bottles cause of it.

gaudet said:
Just be careful to use unscented oxyclean or sun (generic). And also be aware if you forget about those bottles soaking for too long you will be let with a residue on and inside your bottles. Not exactly how long is too long. Just know that I've had to throw out bottles cause of it.

Me too! Procrastination, in this part of wine making, is not a virtue.

For my first bottling, me Kat and her brother had a big tub of bottles soaking in KMeta (after scrubbing them in a tub of no rinse easy clean first.
It took us a while to clean them but it went quicker with 3 people working on it.

gaudet said:

I have never experienced that gaudet and I have had them soaking for as long as a couple of weeks or longer in the 60 gallon trash cans

I fill my bottles up with hot water and keep them standing up in the laundry sink. This is to prevent any of the oxyclean from entering the inside of the bottle (just a preference). I can do two cases at a time in the sink. I fill the sink with hot water to just about two inches above the label. I have also gotten the film on the outside of the bottle so I make sure I rinse them real good.

Waldo said:
gaudet said:

I have never experienced that gaudet and I have had them soaking for as long as a couple of weeks or longer in the 60 gallon trash cans

Maybe its different water Waldo. I know we got lots of minerals in the Mississippi water here. I know there was a white film accumulated on and inside my bottles that I just decided not to worry about since I have a bunch of them.

Wolfe, personal preference noted, but the OxyClean/Sun Cleaner works great for dissolving dirt and organic debris inside the bottles. Just rinse it well and there should be no problems. Like I said earlier there is scented and unscented varieties of Sun Cleaner and OxyClean. Make sure you get the unscented.

Back