Choosing a Red to make for Wedding

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suziqcu

Junior
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get valuable advice about what kit would be a great choice to make for my daughter's wedding (Aug 2012).
We've made Luna Rosa and Mezza Luna...and had great comments about both...particularly LR....but wondered what else might be a relatively "safe" and good choice?

:a1

I myself had not made a kit, I prefer juice. Any popular red would work but the big concern to make it really good is you are short on time as far as aging a red. Reds usually need a year to age. You could do it but they wouldn't have time to aspire to what they truly could be.

I would suggest doing some whites and fruits as well. Kits would help you on time.

I have always suggested if making wine for favors is to label them to wait for the 1st anniversary before opening and celebrate the marriage on their anniv.

If making wine to be drunk at the reception check to see if you are allowed to bring in alcohol. Some states are funny with that.

Let us know how much do you need. What is your intention for the wine etc. It's all possible.

Zinfandal, it is a nice red, goes with a lot of dishes and the novice wine drinker will love it along with those who normally drink wine

I'm hoping to get valuable advice about what kit would be a great choice to make for my daughter's wedding (Aug 2012).
We've made Luna Rosa and Mezza Luna...and had great comments about both...particularly LR....but wondered what else might be a relatively "safe" and good choice?

:a1

What are you serving for the dinner? Do you plan to serve a wine that complemnets the food? That might at least guide you to red or white. Whatever you decide, you need to get gettin'. You are running out of calendar.

I agree with Julie. A Zin is a good all around red for any occasion. You might even consider a White Zin.

August 2012? My daughter was married in June of 2010 and I made Peach Apricot Chardonny, Green Apple Reislingand a White Zinfadel. All were a hit. It had gotten to the point (later in the evening) that glasses were no longer being used. Full bottles were being carried around.

This was however private property. Be careful about the ABC laws if it is not personal property.

August 2012? My daughter was married in June of 2010 and I made Peach Apricot Chardonny, Green Apple Reislingand a White Zinfadel. All were a hit. It had gotten to the point (later in the evening) that glasses were no longer being used. Full bottles were being carried around.

This was however private property. Be careful about the ABC laws if it is not personal property.

Good point to make about the laws. Another point to check is to make sure the hall that you are using allows you to bring in your wine. The hall my son used did not sell alcohol so because we had to buy it elsewhere there was no issue of me bringing wines in that I made. LOL, I say this all the time but home wines are a big hit, I ended up getting all the old ladies drunk, they were walking around looking for wine that no one was drinking to take home with them, normally they take a pile of cookies. You have not idea how many cookies we were stuck with, but no wine was left.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Julie was a big help with my wine making for my daughters wedding. I am going to nominate her for the wedding wine expert if there can be such a thing on this forum.

thanks again Julie.

Since you seem to be familiar with Wine Expert kits and want to make a red might I suggest Vieux Chateau du Roi in the Premium selection for your daughters wedding. It is a blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvadre and is a knock off of the wine made by Chateau de Vaudieu - Chateauneuf du Pape.

http://www.chemins-vignerons.com/english/chateau-de-vaudieu-chateauneuf-du-pape/

It was recommended by our local wine store and since my wife had visited the vineyard while in France and liked the wines, we gave it a try.

I made this kit in the spring and bulk aged it for 3 months. I sampled my first bottle after a two weeks in the bottle and while still young it was very drinkable. It has now been in the bottle for 3 months it keeps improving. It is a medium body, with Medium oak. It has a bit of fruitiness which imparts a hint of sweetness. Which is similar to the popular "Menage a Trois" from California. Everyone who has sampled this wine has really liked it and therefore might appeal to large range of wedding guests.

While on the subject of your daughters wedding if you are looking for a second fermented beverage. Have you considered making a batch of Mead. It is the traditional wedding drink as it is origin of the term Honeymoon. It is as easy to make as wine but it takes much longer to ferment so you better get started if you want it done by next year.

Wedding wine

Thanks for all your input! We are giving as favors....you're so right about the proprietors, there's no way we could've served at wedding....and I will suggest waiting til first anniversary. We chose a Borolo and a Pinot Noir. We just bottled in 375 ml bottles. The bride is designing a label as she's designed all of ours thus far....for our little winery "Trois Chats Noirs" after our 3 black cats who are always close by overseeing the process...
:snw

I want to try Vieux Chateau du Roi! Wish I had paid attention to this post earlier :dg
Mead sounds interesting....

Our first kit was the W.E. Valpolicello. Obviously being our first kit it was drank early. I think with kits you can generally get away with drinking earlier. Given the wedding is in August, you definately dont have much time to make up your mind and no real time to age.

I want to try Vieux Chateau du Roi! Wish I had paid attention to this post earlier :dg
Mead sounds interesting....

By Tradition Mead should replace Champagne as the wedding toast drink. You can even make it sparkling if you wish. However, tradition dictates that the Mead be supplied by the father of the groom. It was his obligation to provide enough mead to last the new couple for one moon cycle where their goal was to produce their first born. Hence the word Honey Moon was developed.

Latest posts

Back